LEWISBURG, Pa. – Senior Steven Galiardo placed fourth at 157 lbs., and sophomore Jon Viruet came in sixth at 165 lbs. to lead Brown University wrestling at the 113th Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association Championships on Saturday at Bucknell University's Sojka Pavilion.
The Bears will wait to see if any of their competitors qualify as at-large qualifiers for the NCAA Championships from March 16-18 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis. Mo. At-Large announcements will come on Tuesday, Mar. 7 with full brackets released on Mar. 8 at 6 p.m.
Galiardo (Chicago, Ill.), the No. 8 seed, beat Zack Davis of Navy to reach the third-place match before falling to Mike D'Angelo of Princeton. He placed for the third straight season at EIWAs after coming in fifth in 2016 and eighth in 2015 at 149 lbs.
Viruet (Springfield, Mass.), the No. 4 seed, dropped a narrow 3-1 decision in a sudden victory period to No. 8 seed Drew Daniels of Navy in the fifth-place match at 165 lbs.
In the team standings, Brown came in 13th out of 16 teams with 31.5 points. Cornell won the team title with 163 points.
Senior Steven Galiardo and sophomore Jon Viruet each went 2-0 to advance to Saturday's semifinals at the 113th Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association Championships at Bucknell University's Sojka Pavilion on Friday.
Galiardo (Chicago, Ill.) and Viruet (Springfield, Mass.) won both of their bouts to make it to the semis at 157 and 165 lbs. respectively. The 165-pound weight class will send four wrestlers to the NCAA Championships while the 157-pound weight class holds three automatic qualifiers.
In his fourth straight appearance at the EIWAs, Galiardo, the No. 8 seed, defeated Harvard's Colby Knight, 5-3, in the round of 16 before topping Jake Kaminsky of Hofstra in the quarterfinals via major decision, 12-2. A two-time EIWA placer, Galiardo will meet No. 4 seed Dylan Palacio of Cornell in the semifinals tomorrow.
Making his second appearance at EIWAs, Viruet, the No. 4 seed, beat Binghamton's Jake Einbinder in the round of 16 with a major decision, 13-3, prior to clipping No. 5 seed Austin Rose of Drexel, 7-5, in the quarterfinals. He will face No. 1 seed Brandon Womack of Cornell in tomorrow's semifinals.
Six other Bears won bouts on the day with two – junior Andrew LaBrie (Exeter, R.I.) and sophomore Ian Butterbrodt (North Andover, Mass.) – reaching the quarterfinals. Brown's other winners included freshmen Trey Keeley (Washington, Ill.) and Jimmy Pawelski (Park Ridge, Ill.) and sophomores CJ LaFragola (Little Egg Harbor, N.J.) and Tucker Ziegler (Myersville, Md.).
In the team standings, Brown stands in 13th place with 26 points. Cornell leads the 16-team field with 81.5 points.
125 Pounds (Top 2 to NCAAs)
Trey Keeley (1-2)
(2) Josh Terao (American) def. Keeley in Round of 16, MD 10-1
Keeley def. Edgar Garcia (F&M) in Consolation, Dec. 6-5 TB-2
(8) Jordan Gessner (Bucknell) def. Keeley in Consolation, Dec. 3-2
133 Pounds (Top 4 to NCAAs)
Jimmy Pawelski (1-2)
(2) Esteban Gomez-Rivera (American) def. Pawelski in Round of 16, Dec. 9-3
Pawelski def. Dan Martoccio (F&M) in Consolation, Dec. 8-4
(8) Joey Gould (Bucknell) def. Pawelski in Consolation, Dec. 6-2
141 (Top 5 to NCAAs)
Zeke Salvo (0-2)
(4) Jared Prince (Navy) def. Salvo in Round of 16, TF 18-3
Jack Mutchnik (American) def. Salvo in Consolation, Dec. 3-2
149 (Top 3 to NCAAs)
Travis Vasquez (0-2)
(3) Matt Cimato (Drexel) def. Vasquez in Round of 16, Fall 4:24
(6) Joe Oliva (Penn) def. Vasquez in Consolation, TF 17-0
157 (Top 3 to NCAAs)
(8) Steven Galiardo (3-2, Fourth Place)
Galiardo def. Colby Knight (Harvard) in Round of 16, Dec. 5-3
Galiardo def. Jake Kaminsky (Hofstra) in Quarterfinals, MD 12-2
(4) Dylan Palacio (Cornell) def. Galiardo in Semifinals, MD 11-2
Galiardo def. Zack Davis (Navy) in Consolation Semifinals, Default
Mike D'Angelo (Princeton) def. Galiardo in Third-Place Match, Fall 5:39
165 (Top 4 to NCAAs)
(4) Jon Viruet (2-3, Sixth Place)
Viruet def. Jake Einbinder (Binghamton) in Round of 16, MD 13-3
Viruet def. (5) Austin Rose (Drexel) in Quarterfinals, Dec. 7-5
(1) Brandon Womack (Cornell) def. Viruet in Semifinals, Dec. 6-1
(6) Andrew Mendel (Army) def. Viruet in Consolation Semifinals, Dec. 7-5
(8) Drew Daniels (Navy) def. Viruet in Fifth-Place Match, Dec. 3-1 SV
174 (Top 6 to NCAAs)
Andrew LaBrie (1-2)
LaBrie def. (8) Sage Heller (Hofstra) in Round of 16, Fall 1:01
(1) Brian Realbuto (Cornell) def. LaBrie in Quarterfinals, TF 16-1
Anthony Lombardo (Binghamton) def. LaBrie in Consolation, Dec. 7-4
184 (Top 7 to NCAAs)
(6) CJ LaFragola (1-2)
Jacob Young (Columbia) def. LaFragola in Round of 16, Fall 6:17
LaFragola def. Edward Antler (Sacred Heart) in Consolation, Dec. 3-2
(5) Alex DeCiantis (Drexel) def. LaFragola in Consolation, Dec. 3-1
197 (Top 4 to NCAAs)
Tucker Ziegler (1-2)
(8) Mark Tracy (Binghamton) def. Ziegler in Round of 16, MD 10-2
Ziegler def. Mark Boyle (Sacred Heart) in Consolation, Fall 2:28
(7) Jeric Kasunic (American) def. Ziegler in Consolation, MD 10-0
285 (Top 4 to NCAAs)
(8) Ian Butterbrodt (1-2)
Butterbrodt def. Brett Dempsey (American) in Round of 16, Dec. 7-2
(1) Joey Goodhart (Drexel) def. Butterbrodt in Quarterfinals, Dec. 4-0
Nicholas Gajdzik def. Butterbrodt in Consolation, Dec. 9-6