PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Brown women's tennis team defeated UMass, 5-2, on Friday at the Pizzitola Sports Center.
Brown won the doubles point in three tightly contested matches. The Bears first received a victory from senior Alyza Benotto (Los Angeles, Calif.) and freshman Semi Oloko (Canton, Mass.) in second doubles (6-4). Senior Maddie Stearns (Short Hills, N.J.) and junior Taylor Cosme (New Hyde Park, N.Y.) won the point for Brown with a 6-4 showing in third doubles.
Cosme was the first to complete her singles match and gave the Bears a 2-0 lead in the match with her 6-3, 6-2 win in fourth singles. UMass next picked up a win in second singles to gain a point but Stearns got Brown back on track with a 7-5, 6-2 win in first singles. The Minutewomen won the next match (third singles) but that would be as close as they would get, as sophomore Juliana Simon (Los Angeles, Calif.) (6-1, 6-1, fifth) and freshman Courtney Kowalsky (Oyster Bay, N.Y.) (6-2, 7-6 (8), sixth) won the final two matches.
The Bears next compete at the ECAC Tournament Friday, Feb. 9 through Sunday, Feb. 11 at Princeton.
1. Yrazusta/Moreno (M) def. Simon/Jack, 7-6 (5)
2. Benotto/Oloko (B) def. Crawford/Kovacavic, 6-4
3. Stearns/Cosme (B) def. Napadiy/Avery, 6-4
1. Stearns (B) def. Crawford, 7-5, 6-2
2. Yrazusta (M) def. Benotto, 6-4, 6-3
3. Kovacavic (M) def. Jack, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (1)
4. Cosme (B) def. Moreno, 6-3, 6-2
5. Simon (B) def. Napadiy, 6-1, 6-1
6. Kowalsky (B) def. Bocchi, 6-2, 7-6 (8)