Moos' Pair Lift Brown Past Harvard, 2-1, in Overtime

Moos' Pair Lift Brown Past Harvard, 2-1, in Overtime

Oct. 13, 2006

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - Senior leading scorer Kathryn Moos (Wayzata, MN) converted on a penalty kick at 3:06 of the first overtime to lift the Brown women's soccer team (7-3-3, 2-1-1) past Harvard (3-9-1, 2-2-0), 2-1, in an Ivy League women's soccer contest on Friday evening at Stevenson Field. Moos, the Ivy League leading scorer in points (24) and goals (10) scored for the third straight game, while moving up in the Brown record books in several offensive categories.

The Crimson controlled the play, mostly in the midfield for the first 15 minutes of the game, taking the first shot of the contest in the seventh minute of action. Nine minutes later, the Bears began to get their legs, and the momentum swung in Brown's favor when senior Jill Mansfield's (East Windsor, NJ) shot from the right side had Harvard goalie Lauren Mann beat, but the ball drilled the far post at 15:16.

Just four minutes later at 19:41, freshman Bridget Ballard (Los Angeles, CA) fired a shot from point-blank range, but Mann was able to deflect the ball over the cross bar to end the threat.

Each team had a few more scoring opportunities before the end of the first half, but strong defense on both ends kept the score knotted at zero heading into the second half.

After the break, Brown came out and wasted little time in gaining a 1-0 lead. Just 5:58 into the second half, Moos scored her first of two goals off a cross from sophomore Linsday Cunningham (Cumberland, RI), who picked up her Ivy League-leading seventh assist of the season. Freshman Melissa Kim (Bethesda, MD) fed Cunningham with a long ball up the left sideline. Cunningham crossed to Moos in the box, and Moos toed the ball into the lower left corner.

Both teams had several scoring opportunities after the goal, with Harvard nearly tying the game at 1-1 twice in a span of 13 minutes. At 66:11, Rachel Lau beat the Brown defense into the box, but fired a shot from the left side off the near post. At 80:30, Erin Wylie had a breakaway with just Brown freshman goalie Brenna Hogue (Concord, CA) to beat, but her shot went wide of the net. Less than a minute later, though, at 81:26, a Brown foul 35 yards out set up a Harvard free kick. Lizzy Nichols took the free kick and the ball carried into the top left of the net over an outstretched Hogue, tying the game at 1-1.

The Bears had two late chances, but couldn't net the go-ahead goal as the two teams headed for overtime, Brown's fourth overtime game of the season. Brown dominated the extra period, taking four shots in just three minutes. In the fourth minute of overtime, Mansfield was pulled down in the box, setting up the Brown penalty kick. Moos converted the penalty kick, scoring on a low shot to the right corner, past a diving Mann as the Bears won their first overtime game this season after posting ties in their first three overtime contests. With four points, Moos now ranks seventh all-time at Brown in both career goals (24) and points (64), and 12th all-time at Brown in both season goals (10) and points (24).

Brown outshot Harvard 24-11 for the game and posted an 8-0 advantage in corner kicks. Hogue picked up the win in net for the Bears with five saves, while Mann made 10 stops for the Crimson. The Bears return to action on Wednesday afternoon, October 18, when they travel to Kingston, RI to face intra-state rival URI in a 4:00 p.m. match.