Bears Narrowly Escape with 3-3 Tie with Bryant

Bears Narrowly Escape with 3-3 Tie with Bryant

Oct. 8, 2008

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - The Brown women's soccer team (4-4-3) overcame a two-goal deficit, scoring twice in a span of 3:40, but allowed an own-goal 46 seconds into the second half and needed a late goal by senior Lindsay Cunningham (Cumberland, RI) to earn a 3-3 tie with Bryant (2-7-3) on Wednesday evening at Stevenson Field. Cunningham also had an assist on Brown's first goal to finish the night with three points and move into 14th all-time at Brown with 16 career goals and 10th all-time with 14 career assists.

The Bears had the better of the play early on in the game, taking the first shot of the contest just 2:19 in and outshooting Bryant, 4-0, during the opening 10 minutes of play. However, the Bulldogs picked up the pace of their play and got on the board at the 18:09 mark. Sarah Donovan collected a rebound off a shot from Kaitlyn Hinck, which was blocked, and chipped the ball from about 25 yards out over the Brown defense and past a diving Brenna Hogue (Concord, CA), who finished with four saves.

Following the goal, Bryant maintained control of the play and then grabbed a 2-0 lead when Hinck capitalized on a defensive miscue by the Bears and kicked a lose ball through Hogue's hands at 26:27.

Just four minutes before the goal, Brown nearly tied the game at 1-1, but a shot by freshman Sarah Hebert-Seropian (Vaudreuil-Dorion, QUE), headed for the upper right corner was just tipped out of harms way by Jessica Clark, who finished the night with 16 saves for Bryant. Just two minutes later, sophomore Sylvia Stone (Bronx, NY) fired a low shot from the right side that was headed for the far post, but Clark dove across the goalmouth and tipped it away to keep Brown off the board.

Brown did not let up following the second Bryant goal and finally got on the board in the 38th minute on freshman Marybeth Lesbirel's (Holmdel, NJ) fourth goal of the year. Cunningham received the ball in the midfield and sent it up the left sideline to Lesbirel. The quick-footed forward got around her defender and sent a shot off the outside of her right foot that banked off the far post and into the net.

Just 3:40 later, at 41:16, Hebert-Seropian tied the game at 2-2 when she headed the ball past Clark directly off a corner kick taken by freshman Gloria Chun (Irvine, CA), who earned her first career point on the goal.

The Bulldogs nearly regained the lead with just 37 seconds left in the half. Amanda Worrall's shot from 30 yards out, which had Hogue beat high, ricocheted off the cross bar, as the two teams headed into the break tied at two.

However, just 46 seconds after halftime, the Bulldogs did regain their lead, scoring on an own goal. A Bryant player sent a cross through the box from the right side. With Hogue following the ball across the goalmouth, it hit the leg of a Brown defender and trickled into the net before Hogue could get back to the other side.

Brown threw everything it had at Bryant in the second half, earning a 13-5 advantage in shots and a 4-0 advantage in corner kicks, but it took until the 81st minute of play to tie the game. Stone took a short throw-in on the right side to senior Jamie Mize (Washington, DC), who immediately sent the ball back to Stone. Stone crossed the ball back in, and Cunningham flicked her header to the far side, where the ball banked into the net off the post to force overtime.

Brown again dominated the overtime, taking seven shots to Bryant's zero in the 20-minutes and earning a 5-1 advantage in corner kicks, all in the second overtime. The Bears nearly won it on an arcing shot by Lesbirel with 2:16 left, but Clark jumped up to deflect the ball and then pounced on the rebound to hold the score at three-all. Brown had one last chance with under a minute to play, earning back-to-back corner kicks in a span of 10 seconds, but Chun's shot with two seconds left sailed right of the net as the teams settled for a 3-3 draw.

The Bears return to action on Saturday, October 11th, when they travel to Princeton to face the Tigers in a 4:00 p.m. contest.