Bears and New Hampshire Battle to 2-2 Double Overtime Draw

Bears and New Hampshire Battle to 2-2 Double Overtime Draw

PROVIDENCE, RI – The Brown women's soccer team (4-3-2) battled New Hampshire (4-5-3) for 110 minutes and came away with a 2-2 draw, as the Wildcats fought back from a pair of single-goal deficits to earn the tie on Wednesday afternoon at Stevenson Field.

Brown dominated the first half, outshooting New Hampshire, 12-4, and earning two corner kicks to UNH's none.

The two teams traded shots to open the game, before freshman Mika Siegelman (Piedmont, CA) put the Bears up, 1-0, with her third goal in as many games. Senior Gina Walker (Canyon Country, CA) carried the ball into the right corner, before sending in a cross that UNH keeper Erica Correa was able to deflect away. However, the ball went straight to Siegelman, who was following the play, and she one-timed the ball straight into the net for the 1-0 lead just 9:05 into the game.

Freshman Kiersten Berg (Salt Lake City, UT) nearly put Brown ahead, 2-0, in the 27th minute when she raced in alone, but Correa made a nice save on Berg's shot to the left corner to hold the score at 1-0, which is how it remained for rest of the first half.

New Hampshire came out with intensity to open the second half, taking three shots in the first eight minutes and tying the score at 1-1 at 52:57 when Carole Leblanc fired a high shot from the left side that sailed over the outstretched arms of freshman MC Barrett (Ithaca, NY).

Brown wasted little time in responding, as sophomore Eliza Marshall (North Andover, MA) gave the Bears a 2-1 lead just 1:04 after the UNH goal. Stationed on the right side of the field, Marshall trapped the ball off a UNH goal kick and dribbled towards the center, before unleashing a rocket from 25 yards out that hit the upper left corner for her first goal of the season.

In a half largely dominated by the Wildcats, who held an 11-4 advantage in shots during the final 45 minutes, Chelsea Kuss got in behind the Brown defense and beat Barrett one-on-one at 67:23 for the tying goal.

UNH outshot Brown, 4-3, in the two overtime periods, but it was the Bears who had the best chance during the extra 20 minutes. With less than a minute left in the first overtime, junior Marybeth Lesbirel (Holmdel, NJ) sent a cross from the left that found freshman Louisa Pitney (Washington, DC) open in front. With Correa still out of position, Pitney was able to redirect the ball towards the goal, but it went just wide, ending the first overtime.

The two teams finished with 19 shots each, while Brown held a slight advantage in corner kicks, 4-3. Correa made six saves for UNH, including five in the first half. Freshman Amber Bledsoe (Withamsville, OH) stopped both shots she faced in the first half for the Bears, before giving way to Barrett, who recorded four saves.

Brown continues action on Saturday afternoon when it hosts Columbia in a 2:00 p.m. Ivy League contest.

Pictured: Eliza Marshall '13. Photo by