Bears' Upset Bid Falls Short Against #19 Dartmouth in 11-9 Overtime Loss

Bears' Upset Bid Falls Short Against #19 Dartmouth in 11-9 Overtime Loss

April 2, 2006

PROVIDENCE, RI - The Brown women's lacrosse team (3-6, 0-1) opened its 2006 Ivy schedule on Sunday afternoon with a valiant effort against #19 Dartmouth (6-3, 2-1), but the Bears' upset bid fell just short as Dartmouth erased a 9-7 deficit with 4:00 left in the game to earn an 11-9 overtime victory at Stevenson Field.

The two teams opened the game by trading scoring chances early on, as the score was deadlocked at 1-1 less than five minutes into the game. Brown senior Kate Staley (Needham, MA) gave the Bears a 1-0 lead at 3:28 in, but the Big Green quickly tied the game just 46 seconds later on a goal by Whitney Douthett.

A free position goal by junior Amie Biros (Bethesda, MD) gave Brown a 2-1 lead at 10:18 and sparked a 4-0 run as the Bears outscored Dartmouth 4-1 during the remainder of the half. Biros led the 4-0 run, which saw Brown scored three goals in a span of 2:12, with two goals. Sophomore Mimi DeTolla (Stony Brook, NY) and freshman Bethany Buzzell (Middletown, MD) each scored one goal.

Dartmouth halted Brown's scoring spree when Kristen Barry put away a free position shot with 3:21 left in the half as the Bears held onto a 5-2 lead at the break.

The two teams traded goals during the first 20:58 of the second half, as the Big Green never got any closer than two goals until just 7:44 remained in the game.

Dartmouth opened the half with a goal just 3:12 in, but Buzzell answered for Brown 4:49 later as Brown regained its three-goal lead (6-3) with 21:59 left to play. A Sarah Szefi goal with 18:19 left was answered by Brown's Staley at 17:16 to give the Bears a 7-4 lead. Jen Pittman brought Dartmouth to within 7-5 with 11:16 left to play, but Buzzell scored her third of the day to regain a three-goal lead (8-5) for the Bears with 9:02 left in the game.

Following a Dartmouth timeout, the Big Green scored back-to-back goals just 40 seconds apart to close Brown's lead to 8-7 with 7:44 left on the clock. Staley added her third of the contest with exactly 4:00 remaining for a 9-7 Brown lead.

The Bears won the ensuing draw control, but a turnover in Brown's offensive end led to Dartmouth's eighth goal of the day at 27:56 of the half. The Big Green won the next draw control and after Brown goalie Melissa King (Pepper Pike, OH) made a great stop on Szefi, she flicked the loose ball into the back of the net for the tying goal at 28:07.

In the first of two 3:00 overtime periods, Dartmouth won the opening draw control and Douthett gave the Big Green their first lead of the game just 25 seconds in. A goal from Barry with 12 seconds left in the first overtime sealed the victory for Dartmouth, as it was able to run out the clock in the final 3:00 overtime period despite strong pressure from the Bears.

In net for Brown, King recorded a career-high 16 saves. The Bears will look to rebound on Saturday, April 8, when they travel to Columbia for a 1:00 p.m. Ivy contest.