Bears Outscore Holy Cross 7-4 in Final 30 Minutes and Hold On for 9-8 Win

Bears Outscore Holy Cross 7-4 in Final 30 Minutes and Hold On for 9-8 Win

March 27, 2007

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - Sophomore Lauren Vitkus (Skaneateles, NY) scored the game-winning goal with 11:10 left to play and had two assists in a pivotal Brown run to help lead the women's lacrosse team (3-5) to a 9-8 come-from-behind victory over Holy Cross (6-3), winners of its last five games, on Tuesday afternoon at Stevenson Field. Trailing 4-2 at the half, Brown clawed its way back into the game. Junior Mimi DeTolla's (Stony Brook, NY) second goal of the contest, assisted by Vitkus, tied the game at 5-5 with 22:40 remaining. Just 54 seconds later, Vitkus found freshman Molly McCarthy (Scituate, MA), who gave Brown a 6-5 lead with her eighth goal of the year, and the Bears never trailed again, en route to the 9-8 win.

Things started off slowly for Brown on the offensive end of the field, as Holy Cross was able to grab a 3-0 lead during the first 14 minutes of play despite solid team defense by the Bears. However, Bruno's attack couldn't solve Crusaders' Megan Orr until the 4:12 mark of the half when freshman Kaitlyn Giles (Concord, MA) netted her first career goal.

Holy Cross went up 4-1 with two minutes left and Vitkus scored her first goal 24 seconds later as Brown trailed 4-2 at the half.

Sophomore Kelly Robinson (Medford, NJ) cut the Bears' deficit to 4-3 just 1:44 into the second frame, connecting on a feed from McCarthy, but the Crusaders again responded to regain the two-goal advantage at 26:07, at which point the Brown offense took over.

DeTolla scored back-to-back goals exactly three minutes apart, sparking a 4-0 Bruno run in a span of 5:58 as the Bears grabbed a 7-5 lead with 19:42 left on goals by McCarthy and Giles.

Holy Cross answered at 17:20, but freshman Kiki Manners (North Potomac, MD) scored her first career goal two minutes later to assure that Brown held momentum. The Crusaders responded again at 11:51, but Vitkus netted what would prove to be the game-winner just 41 seconds later.

Holy Cross scored the final goal of the game with 9:17 left and then Brown was able to hold on for the victory in what became a game of defensive stops by junior goalie Melissa King (Pepper Pike, OH) and a game of keep-away at the other end of the field.

Following the final goal of the contest, both King and Orr made two saves, as King stopped Kristine Corkum from point blank range with 5:47 remaining. After the Bears' clear attempt failed, King intercepted a pass from Amy Archambault, setting up Brown's stall. The Bears cleared the ball into their offensive third with 4:57 remaining, and despite getting double- and triple-teamed, Brown maintained possession until the 1:10 mark when Holy Cross came back the other way in an attempt to tie the game.

King was up to the task and saved Cara O'Sullivan's shot on a break-away with 59 seconds remaining and then Corkum's free position attempt with 52 seconds left. The Bears gained possession of the ball and held on for their second straight win of the season.

King posted 11 saves in net, while senior Jen Redd (Towson, MD) led the Brown defense with three caused turnovers. After eight straight non-league games to open the year, the Bears will travel to New Hampshire on Saturday, March 31, to face #13 Dartmouth in their 2007 Ivy opener. Game time is set for 1:00 p.m.