Bears Fall to #15 Dartmouth, 8-7

Bears Fall to #15 Dartmouth, 8-7

HANOVER, NH – The Brown women's lacrosse held a 7-5 lead late in the second half but couldn't hold off #15 Dartmouth, falling 8-7 in Ivy League action at Scully-Fahey Field.  The loss drops the Bears record to 7-2 overall and 1-2 in the Ivy League.  The Big Green improve to 7-3 overall and 3-0 in the Ivy League.

Sophomore Abby Bunting (Wellesley, MA) scored the first goal of the game, just 58 seconds in, to give the Bears a 1-0 lead.  Liz Calby would even things up with 26:33 left in the half, on an unassisted goal.  Junior Bre Hudgins (Syracuse, NY) put Brown back on top, 2-1, with a goal just about 10 minutes later.  Dartmouth would again respond quickly as a goal by Jacyln Leto tied the game at 2-2, with 16:15 left in the half.

Senior Lindsay Minges (Rochester, NY) broke the tie with 12:23 on the clock, scoring on a free-position shot.  Brown dominated the rest of the half, not allowing a shot on goal and peppering Dartmouth goalie Kristen Giovanniello with shot after shot.  The Bears finally broke through with 2 seconds left in the half with Bunting scoring her second of the game.  Brown went into halftime with a 4-2 lead, out shooting Dartmouth 13-6.

The Big Green came out of the break with renewed energy as Sarah Byrne cut the deficit to one goal, scoring just 1:29 into the half.  A Dartmouth goal by Courtney Bennett tied the game at 4-4 with 27:03 on the clock.  Brown sophomore Alyssa DiBona (Media, PA) would win the ensuing draw and the Bears would maintain an extended offensive possession.  The Bears would earn a free-position opportunity but Giovenniello was up to the task, saving the shot by Minges.

Calby would score her second goal of the game, giving the Big Green its first lead of the day, 5-4, with 20:33 remaining in the 2nd half.  Following three minutes of unsettled play, Bunting converted a free-position opportunity, tying the game at 5-5 with 17:44 left to play in the half.  Junior Grace Healy (Bellport, NY) won the draw following the Bunting goal.  Brown wasted little time as sophomore Janie Gion (Northfield, IL) put the Bears back on top, 6-5, scoring just 34 seconds later.  Bunting extended the Bears' lead to 7-5, with 13:54 on the clock.

A yellow card with 12:10 remaining would leave the Bears down a player for two minutes.  The Bears escaped the short-handed situation on the strength of solid team defense and a save by sophomore goaltender Kellie Roddy (Poway, CA).  However, Hana Bowers would narrow the gap for Dartmouth, scoring with 9:01 remaining.  Bowers scored again, tying the game at 7-7, with 4:12 on the clock.  Hudgins would win the next draw control but a Brown turnover led to the game-winning goal for Dartmouth, scored by Sarah Bryne, with 13 seconds left.

Bunting would finish with four goals for Brown.  Minges, and Hudgins each had one goal for Brown and Gion added a goal and an assist.  DiBona and Healy had four draw controls apiece as the Bears led that category by a 10-7 margin.  DiBona also lead Brown with four ground balls and four caused turnovers.  Roddy made 5 saves in 60 minutes of action for Brown while Giovanniello made 7 for Dartmouth. 

Brown returns home next Saturday, April 6th, for an Ivy League contest against Harvard at Stevenson Field.  The opening draw against the Crimson will be at 12:00 p.m.