Holy Cross Hands Brown Second Straight Loss

Holy Cross Hands Brown Second Straight Loss

WORCESTER, MA – Holy Cross (3-4) utilized an eight goal run to erase an early, 5-1, deficit, and hand the Brown women's lacrosse team (2-3) an 11-10 loss in a non-league game on Tuesday afternoon in Worcester. Trailing, 9-7, early in the second half, the Bears mounted a comeback attempt, but could never get any closer than a goal, and the Crusaders were able to hold on for the victory. Brown was led by senior Julia Keller (Concord, MA), who had three goals, including one with 42 seconds left to bring the Bears to within 11-10.

The Bears came out flying, opening the game with four straight goals in the first 11 minutes. Freshman Abby Bunting (Wellesley, MA) scored back-to-back goals at 3:40 and 5:13 to give Brown a 2-0 lead and then sophomore Bre Hudgins (Syracuse, NY) connected on a free position shot 1:07 later to increase the lead to 3-0. Keller capped the run when she scored her first of three goals 11:04 into the game, giving the Bears a 4-0 lead.

Following a Holy Cross timeout, the Crusaders halted the run when Corinne Caracausa scored her first of the game 30 seconds after Keller's goal to get the hosts on the board.

Keller scored her second of the day 1:16 later, assisted by senior Kaela McGilloway (Sea Cliff, NY), to give Brown a 5-1 lead. However, Holy Cross would close the half with six straight goals, outshooting Brown, 17-1, along the way, to take a 7-5 lead at the break. During the run, Taylor Zebrowski scored four of the goals, including two in the final 21 seconds of the half.

Holy Cross extended its run to seven goals 52 seconds after the break when Laura Ryan tallied her first of the game. Ryan added her second of the day just 26 seconds later to increase the Crusaders' lead to 9-5, forcing Brown to call a timeout.

Sophomore Danielle Mastro (Endicott, NY) finally ended Brown's scoring drought at the 32:41 mark when she took a pass from sophomore Grace Healy (Bellport, NY) and found the back of the net for her 6th of the season. McGilloway scored the Bears' second straight just 41 seconds later to bring Brown to within 9-7.

The Crusaders would regain the three-goal advantage at 38:06, as Caracausa tallied her second of the afternoon to halt Brown's momentum and give Holy Cross a 10-7 lead

Neither team would score over the next 15:05, as freshman Kellie Roddy (Poway, CA) was instrumental during this time, making three of her six saves to keep Brown within striking distance.

Healy ended the scoreless period with 6:49 left in the game, bringing the Bears to within 10-8. The Bears closed the gap to 10-9 just 14 seconds later when Hudgins won the ensuing draw control and dished to freshman Julia Carrellas (Middletown, RI), who scored her first career goal.

However, Holy Cross would regain the two-goal lead, 11-9, with 3:42 remaining when Sara Hennessey scored with the Crusaders playing with a man advantage after a yellow card against the Bears.

After a lengthy possession by the Crusaders just over two minutes remaining, freshman Alyssa DiBona (Media, PA) caused a turnover to give Brown possession. After an initial attempt by McGilloway was saved by Sarah Weber, Keller picked up the ground ball and scored on the rebound to close the lead to 11-10 with 42 seconds left.

Holy Cross won the ensuing draw control and held on for the one-goal victory.

Senior Isabel Harvey (Baltimore, MD) allowed five goals on six shots in the opening 22:41, before giving way to Roddy, who made six saves, allowing six goals in the final 37:19.

Defensively, Brown was led by sophomore Erin Roos (Wilmette, IL), who had three caused turnovers. Healy led the Bears with three draw controls, while four different players all had two ground balls.

In the midst of a four-game stretch of all non-league games, Brown returns to action on Sunday, March 18th, when it hosts Quinnipiac in a 1:00 p.m. contest.      

Pictured: Senior Julia Keller. Photo by DSPics.net.