Women's Ice Hockey Falls 4-2, In Late Northeastern Surge

Women's Ice Hockey Falls 4-2, In Late Northeastern Surge

Nov. 29, 2005

Box Score

Boston, MA - The women's ice hockey team (3-7-1) wrapped up the month of November with a 4-2 loss to Northeastern this evening in Boston, MA. The Bears could not hold off a late Northeastern offensive surge, as the Huskies went on to score three unanswered goals in the final period.

In a fast paced first period, the Bears pressured the Husky's defense for most of the opening twenty minutes, out shooting Northeastern 12-7. Senior Margaret Ramsay (Toronto, ONT) picked up a loose puck in the neutral zone, and skated in on the Husky goaltender Marisa Hourihan, but was pulled down by a Northeastern defender and awarded a penalty shot at the 11:32 mark. Ramsay skated in and crossed over the goal mouth bringing the puck to her fore hand, but Hourihan kicked out her right pad for the stop, keeping the game scoreless.

With Northeastern on a two man advantage, on penalties to senior Keaton Zucker (Gilford, NH) and sophomore Rylee Olewinski (Burr Ridge, IL) the Huskies fired a shot at the point that squirted behind freshman goaltender Nicole Stock (Buffalo Grove, IL) and was knocked out of danger by sophomore Hayley Moore (Wakefield, MA) keeping the Huskies off the board. With less than two minutes remaining in the period, Northeastern's Ali Bielawski moved into the Brown zone for a one on one with Stock. Stock came out to cut the angle and made a kick save for a 0-0 score going into the first intermission.

The Huskies opened up the scoring in the second when Crystal Rochon, put a rebound past Stock for the first goal of the game only thirty four seconds into the second stanza. The Bears tied the score late in the period when Moore netted her seventh goal of the season with 2:47 to go in the period. Senior Myria Heinhuis (Chatham, ONT) took a draw deep in Northeastern's zone, and pushed Kathy Sands off the puck as Moore skated in and put a hard wrist shot low under the left pad of Hourihan. With Brown short handed with less than two minutes to go, freshman Frances Male (Toronto, ONT) blocked a shot and had the puck bounce out of the zone and on her stick as she skated into the offensive zone. With a Husky defender trailing close behind, Male took a hard slash, drawing the penalty, ending the Northeastern power play. As both teams skated four on four with less than a minute, Ramsay put the Bears ahead with thirty-five seconds to go in the period, when she took a pass from freshman Kim McManus (Dedham, MA) and caught Hourihan off guard, snapping a quick shot low, lighting the lamp and putting the score at 2-1 after two.

That would be it for the Bears as Northeastern went on to score three unanswered goals in the third, handing Brown a 4-2, loss. Stock finished the game with 27 saves.

The Bears will return to action on December 6, when they travel to Storrs, CT to take on the Huskies of the University of Connecticut for a 7:00 PM face-off.