St. Lawrence Hands Bears 3-2 Loss

St. Lawrence Hands Bears 3-2 Loss

Nov. 8, 2008

Box Score

Providence, R.I. - The Bears lost a hard-fought game on Saturday night, as St. Lawrence was able to take a 3-2 decision despite senior Nicole Stock's (Buffalo Grove, Ill.) 47 saves. Despite hanging with the Saints for the majority of the game, Brown was unable to make the final push to send the contest into overtime. The loss moves Brown's record to 1-4-1 overall, and 1-3-0 in ECAC Hockey contests, while St. Lawrence improves to 5-1-2.

The first period was a defensive struggle for both sides, as each squad clamped down on the opposing offense, and good shots were limited. Just before the halfway point, however, the Saints were able to squeeze a power play goal past Stock, giving them a 1-0 advantage heading into the locker rooms.

After the first intermission, defense reigned once again in the early going. After a tripping call on St. Lawrence, the Bears had the opportunity they needed though, and after a flurry of shots on goal junior Andrea Hunter (Fulton, N.Y.) was able to put one into net to even the game at one apiece. Classmate Erin Connors (Newburyport, MA) and sophomore Maggie Suprey (South Boston, MA) received assists on the play, and Brown looked to have regained the momentum with the power play goal.

With just under four minutes left to play, however, St. Lawrence's Alison Domenico took the feed from teammate Britni Smith and fired one into goal for a 2-1 lead. The goal was the first of the game to be scored at even strength, and the Bears were unable to answer before the horn sounded. Though the Saints were able to pick up the score, Stock made 22 saves in the period, continuing her phenomenal play.

As the team took the ice for the third, it appeared that they had made the necessary adjustments, as neither squad was able to get a good look for most of the period. However, an interference call on the Bears gave St. Lawrence an opening, and the Saints took advantage with another power play goal at the 13:45 mark. Though it appeared that the score may seal the game, Brown answered back less than two minutes later, as sophomore Jenna Dancewicz (Lake Forest, Ill.) knocked it in off a pass from junior Nicole Brown (Swift Current, SK). Despite an energetic rally late though, the Bears were unable to tie the game and send it to overtime, and the Saints left with the win.

The Bears will be back in action on Friday, when they travel to Ithaca to take on the Cornell Big Red at 7 p.m.