Pyett Scores Twice in 4-1 Win

Pyett Scores Twice in 4-1 Win

Nov. 1, 2008

Box Score

Schenectady, N.Y. - Freshman Paige Pyett (Balgonie, Sask.) scored the first two goals of her collegiate career Saturday afternoon as the Bears bounced back with an emphatic 4-1 win at Union to earn a weekend split. The win pushes Brown's record this season to 1-2-1, while the Dutchwomen fall to 0-9-1, with an 0-2-0 league record. After averaging more than 47 saves a game through the first three contests, senior captain Nicole Stock needed only 19 to pick up the win.

The Bears started off strong in the first period, showcasing their quick scoring ability less than a minute into the game. After Union was called for checking only 18 seconds in, Brown seized the power play opportunity and took the action to the Dutchwomen. The Bears set up their power play offense and shuffled the puck around the perimeter before junior assistant captain Andrea Hunter (Fulton, N.Y.) set up Pyett on the right circle, where she fired through a crowd for her first career goal.

Union had a good chance to answer a few minutes later, when the Bears were whistled for holding. However, the Brown penalty kill, which has been strong so far this season, kicked into action, and shut down the Dutchwomen as Stock made three saves to hold the shutout. Pyett struck again with 6:37 remaining, when she rocketed the puck past Union goalie Lundy Day from the top of the left-hand circle for a 2-0 lead. Junior Amanda Asay (Prince George, B.C.) and freshman Jacqie Pierri (Montclair, N.J.) were credited with assists, the first points of the season for each of them.

At the start of the second period, Brown again struck quickly, as junior Sasha Van Muyen (Orillia, ON) tapped in a loose puck at the 1:39 mark for her first goal of the season and a 3-0 lead. Senior Savannah Smith (Fort St. John, B.C.) took the initial shot, but the save by Day was deflected back into the middle, where Van Muyen knocked it in. Smith received the assist on the play.

The Bears were at it again later in the period, showcasing their suddenly potent offense as sophomore Jaclyn Small (Thornhill, ON) and freshman Skyelar Siwak (Olds, AB) hooked up for the fourth goal of the game. Small took a shot from the outside, which Siwak then expertly deflected into net from the left post to increase the lead to 4-0 with 11:52 remaining in the period. Both defenses then clamped down for the rest of the period, however, and neither team was able to get a good shot on goal.

The third period was largely uneventful, as Brown was able to play conservatively with the lead. Union had a chance to make a late push with a power play opportunity midway through the period, but the Bears were again able to kill it, allowing no shots despite being a man down. The Dutchwomen did get on the board late in the game, however, as sophomore Marissa Gentile snuck one by Stock for a power play goal. After working the puck around their power play offense, Gentile took the shot from between the circles. Though Stock appeared to have made the stop initially, the puck trickled through for a goal.

With the win, the Bears continue assembling early season building blocks for a successful season, as the four goals were the most that the team had scored since February 8, when they lost to Quinnipiac 5-4. Added to the pivotal shootout win that the Bears had last weekend in Minnesota, Brown appears to be working back into form.

The Bears will be in action again on Friday, November 7, when they will play their home opener against Clarkson at 7 p.m.