Women's Ice Hockey Drops Heartbreaker to Harvard 4-3 In ECACHL Final

Women's Ice Hockey Drops Heartbreaker to Harvard 4-3 In ECACHL Final

March 12, 2006

Box Score

Canton, NY - Brown had an uphill battle going into the third period, being down 4-3 to Harvard who has gone 10-0-1 when leading after the first period. The Bears were anchored by freshman Nicole Stock who came in relief with 4:20 to go in the first period with the game tied. Stock finished the game with 28 shots including two breakaway shots to keep Brown within striking distance of the Crimson.

In a back and forth first period battle where seven goals went up on the scoreboard, the Bears found themselves down 3-4 going into the first intermission. Brown broke onto the scoreboard first, when senior Myria Heinhuis found sophomore Hayley Moore behind the Harvard defense and put it right on the forward's stick. Moore skated in and beat the Crimson's goalie Ali Boe, five hole for the 1-0 lead with 14:10 to go in the period. Harvard struck back on the following face-off as Sarah Wilson netted her first of two goals in the period thirteen seconds later, beating sophomore goalie top shelf glove side.

Brown put in the next two goals as Moore and junior Kathryn Moos scored less than a minute apart to put Brown ahead by two with 10:35 to go in the period. Moore fired a pass from senior Keaton Zucker past Boe, giving back the lead to Brown. The Bears continued the pressure off the face-off, keeping the puck deep in the Crimson zone. Freshman Savannah Smith picked up the puck along the far boards and found senior Margaret Ramsay skating in the right slot. Ramsay fired a shot that bounced right to Moos who hammered the puck in for the two goal lead with 10:35 remaining in the period.

Harvard went on to score the next three jumping out to the one goal lead after one. Shipe was pulled after Harvard's third goal finishing with ten saves in 15:40 of time between the pipes. Freshman Nicole Stock came in relief and was tested as soon as she stepped in the crease as Harvard looked for the go ahead goal. Wilson put Harvard ahead when she fired the puck top shelf with Stock down on her pads for the 4-3 score with 1:15 remaining in the period.

Brown saw most of the action down in their end for most of the period as the Bears had to kill back-to-back penalties in the first half of the second. The Brown defense and Stock stood strong holding the Crimson power play at bay. After killing a Heinhuis interference penalty Moos pressed Wilson deep in the Harvard zone and forced a turnover behind the Crimson net. Moos quickly snapped a low wrist shot at Boe, but it was turned away keeping the Bears looking for the equalizer.

On a quick transition Harvard caught the Bears on a change as Wilson skated in for a one on one with Stock. Stock stone walled Wilson keeping the puck out of the back of the net but the Crimson regained possession and fired a quick shot glove side that was picked out of the air by Stock keeping the game within striking distance for the Bears.

With less than ten to go in the period and Brown deep in the Harvard zone, freshman Frances Male had the puck bounce to her in the center but couldn't pull the trigger as she was picked up by the Crimson defender quick and unable to get a shot. Brown kept the pressure on with less than a minute to go, but could not find the back of the net keeping the game at 4-3 in Harvard's favor going into the second intermission.

The Bears came out of the second intermission with a bounce in their step and kept the puck in the Harvard zone for the first three minutes. Male was battling for the puck behind the Harvard net and came away with it, throwing it in front to Ramsay who fired a one timer at Boe who closed the gap between the pipe and her pad quickly puck out.

Brown's top line of Moore, Olewinski and Zucker continued to produce opportunities in the offensive zone, looking fro the equalizer. With fourteen minutes to go in the third Zucker gave a centering feed to Moore whose one timer was stopped by Boe.

Harvard's Jennifer Raimondi intercepted a Brown pass and skated in for a one on one with Stock, but Stock stood strong stopping the puck and keeping the deficit at one with about ten minutes to go in the period.

Brown went on their first power play of the game with less than ten to go in the third and kept the puck in the Harvard zone for most of the two minute man advantage. Olewinski had the Bear's first chance of the power play when she one timed a shot from the right slot, but Boe gloved it out of the air. Just twenty five seconds later senior Ashlee Drover skated in and fired a puck at the Crimson net but it was tipped over by traffic in front and cleared out by Harvard.

The Bears were unable to get a good look at the net in the final three minutes as Brown was whistled for a late penalty, keeping the puck in the Brown zone for most of the final three minutes. Stock was solid in net for relief allowing one goal on 28 shots.

Shortly after the contest the ECACHL All-Tournament team was announced as two Brown players Moore and Heinhuis made the list. The Bears finished their season 15-13-5 overall and 10-6-4 in the ECACHL.