Yale Squeaks Past Bears 2-0

Yale Squeaks Past Bears 2-0

Feb. 17, 2009

Box Score

Providence, R.I. - Brown dropped another tough game on Tuesday night, falling to Yale by a deceiving 2-0 margin, as the second goal came on an empty goal situation in the final seconds. Senior goalie Nicole Stock (Buffalo Grove, IL) made 33 saves while giving up just the single goal, but Bruno couldn't find the offense to get back in the game after an early goal by the Bulldogs. With the loss, the Bears drop to 6-20-1 overall and 5-15-0 in league play, while Yale improves to 11-15-1 on the season, and 7-12-1 in ECAC Hockey.

The first period was emblematic of the ensuing action, as both sides struggled to find a consistent rhythm on offense. The Bulldogs finally broke through with just over six minutes remaining in the opener on a somewhat unusual goal. Defenseman Helen Resor took the initial shot from the point, which was saved, but the rebound appeared to hang in the air momentarily, and Maggie Westfal was able to knock it in. Though it wasn't called, the puck may have gone in off her hand, as she appeared to have some discomfort coming off the ice.

Brown missed its best scoring chance of the period shortly after, when Bruno just missed putting back a rebound near the end of the frame. Stock looked sharp early though, with 10 saves in the first 20 minutes, and kept the Bears in the game despite the offensive drought.

The middle period was even quieter, as 17 total shots resulted in no further scoring. Both goalies were at the top of their games, though Brown again had a solid chance on a breakaway by Andrea Hunter (Fulton, N.Y.). A pair of penalties in the period kept the Bears largely on the defensive, however, and they were unable to generate much offense.

Little changed over the first 18 minutes of the period, as both teams were again held off the scoreboard, capping off a terrific game from both goalies. However, head coach Digit Murphy made the decision to pull Stock for an extra attacker with just over two minutes left, ensuring a wild finish. Despite a flurry of shots from the Bears, Yale was able to hold on, and picked up a goal of their own with under a minute to play.

The Bears will be back in action on Friday night, when they host the Princeton Tigers at 7:00 p.m.