Bears and Crimson Skate To A 0-0 Tie

Bears and Crimson Skate To A 0-0 Tie

Feb. 3, 2006

Box Score

Cambridge, MA - In a hard fought 65:00 battle between the Bears (11-9-3, 9-3-2) and the #7 Crimson (10-7-3, 7-3-3), neither team was able to find the back of the net in a 0-0 stalemate. Sophomore goalie O'Hara Shipe (Anchorage, AK) had another big game in the crease for the Bears as she kept the Crimson offense at bay, stopping all shots.

In a see-saw first period, Harvard controlled the flow of play in the first five minutes as Brown was whistled for two penalties, giving the Crimson power play opportunities early. With the second Bear penalty just about to expire, Harvard took the puck into the Brown zone for one last chance to break onto the scoreboard. The Crimson's Lindsay Weaver fired a shot from the slot that bounced out of Shipe's glove and tickled behind the sophomore goalie. Senior Ashlee Drover (Bay Roberts, NF) cleared the puck out of the zone before a Harvard player could get a stick on it, ending the threat and the power play.

With Brown on a power play at the eight minute mark, junior Kathryn Moos (Wayzata, MN) held the puck behind the Crimson net waiting for the power play unit to develop. Sophomore Hayley Moore (Wakefield, MA) skated down the center where she one timed Moos' pass, but it was knocked to the corner by a Harvard defender keeping the game scoreless. Sophomore Heather Lane (London, ONT) broke into the Crimson zone as she intercepted the puck and faked out a Harvard defender on her way to the net. Lane fired a hard shot from the left slot, but Harvard's goalie held onto the puck ending the threat.

Harvard kept the pressure on in the Brown zone, out shooting the Bears 16-8. Harvard's Jennifer Raimondi found Jenny Brine skated into the Brown zone wide open, but freshman Lindsay Wilde (Billerica, MA) caught the Crimson forward from behind and pulled her down before she could get a shot off. Wilde was whistled for a hooking penalty giving the Crimson their fourth power play of the game. After four minutes of four on four play, Crimson found themselves on the door step, but Katie Johnson pulled her shot wide of the Brown net keeping the score 0-0.

With less than five minutes remaining in the period Brown won a draw deep in their zone and rushed down the ice. Senior Lindsey Glennon (Exter, NH) pulled up a put a hard slap shot on net that was turned away by the Crimson goalie, but bounced right back to Glennon who was crashing the net. Glennon fired a shot right back towards the net, but it hit a skate in front and bounced behind the net.

In the final period Brown pressured Harvard, looking to net the go ahead goal. With four minutes to go in the period senior Keaton Zucker (Gilford, NH) picked up the loose puck in the neutral zone and split the Harvard defenders and shot a quick wrister that went just wide keeping the score 0-0 and taking the game to overtime.

As the Bears carried a power play into the five minute sudden death and had the Crimson on the run in their zone a free puck bounced out to Drover, who tried to put the puck top shelf, but Martin was there to make the stop.

Brown kept the pressure on with two minutes to go as Moore skated in with the puck, but was unable to pull the trigger and the puck was cleared out by a Crimson defender. Brown had one last rush but was unable to get a good look at the net, ending the game in a 0-0 tie. Shipe finished with a season high 45 saves in the game.

The Bears will wrap up their weekend play when they face-off against the Big Green, Saturday afternoon at 4:00 p.m. in Thompson Arena.