Combo Of Zucker And Moore Lead Bears Past Union 3-2

Combo Of Zucker And Moore Lead Bears Past Union 3-2

Jan. 21, 2006

Box Score

Schenectady, NY - With the Bears and Dutchwomen tied at two in the third, sophomore Hayley Moore (Wakefield, MA) intercepted the puck in Union's zone, and put in the back of the net for the game winner, with 11:13 remaining, for the 3-2 win over Union. The win puts the Bears at 9-8-2 overall and 7-2-1 in conference play.

The Bears went into the first intermission trailing, after a Brown miscue on a penalty kill. With 7:19 remaining in the period Union's Linnea Edwardson threw the puck from behind the net and hit junior Ann Brophy's stick and bounced past sophomore goalie Stacy Silverman (Wakefield, MA) for Union's first goal of the weekend. The Dutchwomen had two more opportunities to pad their lead on two breakaways, but Silverman stood strong turning both away.

The Bears poured on the pressure for most of the second as they looked for the equalizer. With less than a minute in, sophomore Kathryn Moos (Wayzata, MN) put a back hand shot from the slot past Union's goalie, but the puck hit off the pipe keeping Brown searching for their first goal. With Brown on a power play, senior Myria Heinhuis (Chatham, ONT) fired a shot wide of the Dutchwomen's net, which was picked up by Moore. Moore found Keaton Zucker (Gilford, NH) skating down the center unmarked and slide the puck to Zucker who one timed it in the back of the net, tying the game at one.

Union took a 2-1 lead with 9:08 to go in the period, when Ashley Kilstein put a rebound shot top shelf over Silverman. Off a draw deep in the Brown zone sophomore Heather Lane (Toronto, ONT) chased down the loose puck and skated in on a breakaway with the Union goaltender. As Lane crossed the blue line she went to crossover and hit the puck too far ahead and Union's goalie pounced on it making the save and ending the threat. Silverman was relieved by sophomore O'Hara Shipe (Anchorage, AK) for the final period. Silverman finished the game with 15 saves in forty minutes of play.

Brown dominated the third period, and put in two goals to get the 3-2 come from behind victory. Zucker netted the game tying goal the same way she recorded her first goal, one timing it in from the slot on a pass from Moore. Brown went ahead for good with less then twelve minutes remaining on Moore's short handed goal. The Bear defense stiffened and only allowed two shots in the final period both saved by Shipe.

The Bears will travel to Yale on Tuesday, January 24, for a 7:00 p.m. ECACHL conference match-up.