Bears Skate To a 2-2 Tie With BU

Bears Skate To a 2-2 Tie With BU

Jan. 18, 2006

Box Score

Providence, RI - Senior Keaton Zucker (Gilford, NH) netted the game tying goal, with 10:20 to go in the game as the women's ice hockey team (7-8-2) skated to a 2-2, tie with Boston University (10-9-4) in a non-conference match-up at Meehan Auditorium. Zucker has recorded a point in three of the last four Brown games, finishing this match-up with a goal and assist.

The Bears dominated the first 20:00 of play out shooting the Terriers by a count of 12-2. Browns first goal came on a bang-bang play 3:26 into the game as sophomore Hayley Moore beat Boston's Allyse Wilcox for her 10th goal of the season. Junior Kathryn Moos (Wayzata, MN) left the puck behind Boston's net, where Zucker picked it up and fed Moore who was streaking down the slot, and one timed the pass in for the first goal of the game. The Terriers would tie the game late in the period, when Gina Kearns scored her first of two goals on a rebound left out in front by the Bear's goalie Nicole Stock (Buffalo Grove, IL).

In the second period, BU controlled the puck in the Bear's zone for most of the period as Brown was whistled for six penalties. With the Bears killing a Savannah Smith interference penalty with 5:39 to go, there was a battle in the corner for the puck between a BU forward and Bear defender. Senior Myria Heinhuis (Chatham, ONT) skated in and made contact with the Terrier forward and was called a hitting from behind major and game misconduct. Brown went on to kill the remaining five on three advantage to keep the score knotted at one a piece going into the final period.

The Terriers struck first thirty-one seconds into the period, when Kearns took the puck and skated in on Stock and fired a shot past the freshman goaltender giving Boston a 2-1 lead. As the Bears were on a power play with twelve minutes remaining in the game sophomore Rylee Olewinski (Burr Ridge, IL) could not control a bouncing pass that came to the point and BU's Kelly Karnan picked up the puck and skated down the ice towards the Bear's net. Olewinksi caught up from behind and tripped Karnan before she could get a shot off, but was whistled for a two minute tripping penalty, ending the Bear's power play.

With about 10:30 to go in the game Brown pressed the Terrier's defense and ripped off four shots point blank range at Wilcox who stood strong saving each. The puck bounced out to the left face-off circle where senior Ashlee Drover (Bay Roberts, NF) retreated and picked it up, and gave Moore a pass along the right side boards. Moore threw the puck in front of BU's net where Zucker redirected it over the shoulder of Wilcox for the Brown goal.

The Bears looked to go ahead with 4:30 remaining in the game, when Moos took her own rebound and stuffed it through the five hole of Wilcox, but the play was whistled dead right before the puck crossed the line. Freshman Frances Moore (Toronto, ONT) had her chance to give the Bear's the win when she put the puck over the shoulder of Wilcox but it bounced off Wilcox's shoulder and over the cross bar keeping the game knotted up.

In the extra five minutes, BU tested Stock but she kept everything in front of her stopping all five shots in the extra period. Stock finished the game with 25 saves.

The Bears will travel to Schenectady, NY for a weekend series with the Dutchwomen of Union College. The two squads will face-off on Friday, January 20 at 7:00 p.m. then return for an afternoon match-up at 4:00 p.m.