Bears Shut Out #9 Clarkson, 1-0

Bears Shut Out #9 Clarkson, 1-0

Jan. 13, 2006

Box Score

Ptsdam, NY - The women's ice hockey (7-7-1, 5-1-1 ECACHL) only got off six shots in tonight's match-up with the Golden Knights (14-7-1, 6-3-0), but made one count as the Bears shut out #9 Clarkson 1-0 this evening at the Cheel Arena.

The Bears were pinned down in their defensive zone for most of the opening period as Clarkson had three man advantages. Sophomore O'Hara Shipe (Anchorage, AK) anchored the Brown penalty kill, stopping all eight shots that came at the Brown net. With the Golden Knights on a power play seven minutes into the opening twenty minutes, Clarkson's Micheleen Devine, pulled a one-time shot wide of Shipe, keeping the game scoreless. Brown went on to kill three consecutive penalties, before getting a power play opportunity of their own.

The Golden Knight's Marie Jo Gaudet was whistled for a high stick with 5:17 to go in the period. After twenty three seconds of four on four, the Bears got their first penalty of the game and cashed in, with 2:13 to go in the first. Sophomore Hayley Moore (Wakefield, MA) put the puck along the back boards, where junior Kathryn Moos (Wayzata, MN) picked it up and gave a centering feed to senior Keaton Zucker (Gilford, MN). Zucker pushed the puck past Clarkson goaltender Kira Hurley, for the 1-0 lead.

The Bears played most of the second period in the defensive end, being out shot 14-3. With less than six minutes remaining in the period, the Golden Knights were on a man advantage and pressed Brown's penalty killing unit, looking for the equalizer. After making an initial save on a shot from the slot, Shipe was beat stick side by Meghan Park, but the puck knocked off the post and squirted out to the right side boards, keeping the game at 1-0 in the Bear's favor.

With Brown protecting a one goal lead, Clarkson was pressuring the defense and Shipe for most of the period. On a Golden Knight pass to the point, Moore intercepted the pass and skated with classmate Rylee Olewinski (Burr Ridge, IL) for a two on one. Moore tried to give Olewinksi a centering feed, but it hit Clarkson's defender skate, stopping the threat. With a minute to go in the game, Clarkson pulled Hurley, looking for the equalizer, but were shut out, as Shipe and the Brown defense held for the 1-0 final. Shipe finished the game with 25 saves.

The Bears will return will wrap up their weekend trip to the North Country, tomorrow afternoon when they face the #3 St. Lawrence Saints for a 4:00 p.m. face-off.