Bears Force 3-3 Tie with Northeastern with Two Late Goals

Bears Force 3-3 Tie with Northeastern with Two Late Goals

Jan. 6, 2008

Box Score

Boston, MA - Down 3-1, the Brown women's hockey team (1-11-3) scored twice in the final five minutes to force overtime with Northeastern (4-11-2) on Sunday afternoon in Boston, eventually earning a 3-3 tie. Sophomore Andrea Hunter (Fulton, NY) and senior captain Hayley Moore (Wakefield, MA) scored the late goals, while sophomore Erin Connors (Newburyport, MA) scored earlier in the game.

There was no scoring in the opening period, but the Bears generated several scoring chances. Both junior Frances Male (Toronto, ONT) and Moore hit the post with shots, and Moore had a shorthanded breakaway attempt stoned by a great kick save by Northeastern freshman Leah Sulyma. Sulyma later stoned Moore on two similar breakaways in the third period, as the Brown senior eventually finished with a game-high 10 shots.

Brown got her team out to a lead just over a minute into the second period, lifting a shot into the top left corner off of a pass from sophomore Nicole Brown (Swift Current, SASK) for her third goal of the season. However, the Huskies tied the game back up on a power play just under five minutes later, when senior Nikki Petrich scored off of a rebound following an Alyssa Wohlfeiler shot.

The Huskies pulled ahead with two goals in less than a minute in the third. First, freshman Kristi Kehoe sent in a low shot from the right point that beat Brown goaltender Nicole Stock (Buffalo Grove, IL) low at 10:07. Just 33 seconds later, freshman Alyssa Wohlfeiler scored on a second-chance shot from in close to Stock's right.

At that point, the Bears began applying intense offensive pressure, eventually tying the game. Hunter cut the lead in half with a rebound shot from Sulyma's right at 15:59, then Moore tied the game by redirecting freshman Erica Kromm's (Naramata, BC) shot from the point at 18:42 for the Bears' second goal while skating an extra attacker in three games. Hunter's goal was her second of the year, while Moore's was her team-leading fourth.

In overtime, the Bears continued attacking, getting six shots on net to the Huskies' one, but could not get the game-winner. For the game, Brown out-shot its hosts 38-28. Stock finished with 25 saves, with Sulyma tallying 35.

Next weekend, Brown will hit the road to play ECAC Hockey opponents Quinnipiac and Princeton.

Brown 0 1 2 0 - 3
Northeastern 0 1 2 0 - 3

1st Period - No Scoring. Penalties - B, 2-4; N, 1-2.
2nd Period - B, Connors (Brown), 1:17; N, Petrich (Wohlfeiler ,Applin), PP, 5:36. Penalties - B, 2-4; N, 1-2.
3rd Period - N, Kehoe (Sperry), 10:07; N, Wohlfeiler (Hogan), 10:40; B, Hunter (Moore), 15:59; B, Moore (Kromm, Cedorchuk), EX, 18:42. Penalties - B, 2-4; N, 2-4.
Overtime - . Penalties - B, 1-2; N, 0-0.
Saves - B, Stock (64:37) 9-7-8-1 - 25; N, Sulyma (65:00) 6-9-14-6 - 35.