Bears Begin New Year With Win

Bears Begin New Year With Win

Jan. 3, 2009

Box Score

Providence, R.I. - Brown started off the new year with a bang, taking a 2-1 decision over the Northeastern Huskies on Saturday night, as senior goalie Nicole Stock (Buffalo Grove, IL) notched 27 saves and took a shutout into the third period. Sophomore Erica Kromm (Naramata, B.C.) scored twice for her first two goals of the season, as Brown came off the Christmas break with a strong overall performance. With the win, the Bears improve to 3-10-1, while Northeastern moves to 7-8-2 on the year.

The first period started off slowly, setting the tone for a game in which only 41 total shots were taken. Brown looked sharp after a long layoff, and controlled the early action, but both teams played tough defense, and neither was able to get a good look, in large part because no penalties were called in the first twenty minutes. Stock saw nine shots in the frame, stopping all of them to maintain the tie.

However, the equilibrium of the opening period was quickly broken as the teams came out to take the ice for the second. Brown was called for a protocol penalty for being late to the ice, despite coming out as the intermission was ending. Head coach Digit Murphy vehemently argued her case, as the refs gave the Bears no warning to take the ice, and was charged with a misconduct penalty, giving the Huskies a four-minute power play to open the period.

Though Northeastern appeared set to put the first tally on the board with the long man advantage, the Bears stepped up on the penalty kill, and kept the game scoreless throughout the power play. Offense continued to be difficult to come by until late in the period, when Kromm picked up her first goal of the season, knocking in a pass from classmate Samantha Stortini (Sudbury, ON). Stock again stood tall in net, continuing to hold the Huskies off the board, and the Bears took a 1-0 advantage into the locker room.

Brown struck again early in the third, as Kromm found the net again just under three minutes into the period. Stortini and Jenna Dancewicz (Lake Forest, IL) were given assists on the play, which gave the Bears a 2-0 lead. Just two minutes later, the Huskies cut the deficit in half, as Stephanie Gavronsky fired a shot past Stock for the unassisted goal. Though Northeastern appeared to tie the game later in the period, the goal was called off because of a hand pass on the Huskies. Following the close call, Stock was able to stop the last barrage from the opposition, and Brown came away with the win.

The Bears will be back in action on January 9, when they will host league rival Harvard at 7:00 p.m. at Meehan Auditorium.