Women’s Hockey Dropped by Dartmouth, 3-0

Women’s Hockey Dropped by Dartmouth, 3-0

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – A pair of first period goals for the Big Green spelled the difference as the Brown women's hockey team suffered a 3-0 defeat to Dartmouth in ECAC Hockey and Ivy League play at Meehan Auditorium on Friday.

Lindsey Allen scored the game-winner and added an assist for Dartmouth, while Devon Moir and Kennedy Ottenbreit accounted for the other two Big Green goals to snap the squad's five-game losing streak and gain key ground in the ECAC playoff race. Senior goalie Lindsay Holdcroft picked up her first shutout of the season and stopped all 26 shots she faced.

For Brown, senior Jessica Hoyle (Toronto, Ontario) fired a team-high seven shots on goal and goalie Aubree Moore (Bowie, Md.) made 29 saves, including 11 in a shutout third period.

Despite an even nine shots per side, the Big Green struck twice in the first for a 2-0 advantage after 20 minutes of play. Allen wasted no time and got Dartmouth on the board just 45 seconds after the opening puck drop, finishing a back pass from Laura Stacey after a neutral zone turnover led to a 2-on-1 breakaway for the Big Green.

Junior Sarah Robson (Mississauga, Ontario) seized Brown's first good look with a high wrist shot after a feed from Hoyle from behind the net, but Robson's shot was deflected by Holdcroft out of bounds.

With seven minutes to play in the period, Moore turned away back-to-back attempts by Ottenbreit on her stick side to pick up two of her seven saves in the period. Dartmouth stayed aggressive with a handful of breakaways, but senior Kelly Kittredge (Mahwah, N.J.) spoiled Katy Ratty's bid on a 2-on-2 rush as Brown's defender stood strong to redirect a last-second pass attempt.

Moir widened the Dartmouth lead when she scooped a wrist shot over Moore's shoulder, converting a broken play after Allen pushed a pass from behind the net despite getting tangled with a Brown defender. The Bears mounted one last drive in the period as senior Samantha Woodward (Lexington, Mass.) and junior Janice Yang (Westport, Conn.) sped on a 2-on-1 break, only to have Yang's initial shot saved and Woodward's bid clang off the pipe.

The two teams combined to go 0-for-4 on power play attempts in the second period until Otterbreit snapped the drought with a tip-in goal with 1:19 to play. A tripping call on the Bears put the Big Green on the advantage, leaving Allen to find Olivia Whitford alone at the point for the one-timer. Otterbreit positioned herself for the redirect to put Dartmouth ahead 3-0 through two periods.

Moore fully intended to keep the Bears in the game and turned away 11 Dartmouth shots, including an open look for Allen that Brown's goaltender poked away with a lunging stick save. Samantha Zeiss took another good rip at the net with 6:30 to play but her open look cracked the left pipe and bounced away.

Junior Brittany Moorehead (Clinton, N.Y.) looked to spoil the shutout with two point-blank shots, the first with a quick one-on-one snap that was blocked by Morgan Illikainen. With 2:30 left in the third, Moorehead ripped a shot off freshman Maddie Woo's (Plymouth, Minn.) rebound, only to have Holdcroft post a tremendous kick save to preserve the scoreless performance.

Brown hosts Harvard tomorrow in its final regular season home game, after which the Bears will honor its six seniors during postgame ceremonies. Puck drop is scheduled for 4 p.m.