Keon Strikes Twice, Women’s Hockey Tops St. Lawrence, 4-2

Keon Strikes Twice, Women’s Hockey Tops St. Lawrence, 4-2

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Junior Kaitlyn Keon (Toronto, Ontario) knocked in a pair of goals to lift the Brown women's hockey team to a 4-2 victory over St. Lawrence in ECAC Hockey action at Meehan Auditorium on Friday. The Bears (2-12-4, 1-8-2 ECAC) earned their first league win of the season and first triumph over the Saints (6-14-1, 5-6-1 ECAC) since Mar. 4, 2005.

Keon's first multiple-goal game of her career helped the Bears snap a 15-game winless streak dating back to a 2-1 overtime victory at RIT on Oct. 26. Senior Kelly Kittredge (Mahwah, N.J.) handed out two assists, junior Lauren Vella (Staten Island, N.Y.) posted a second-half goal to tie the game at 1-1, and junior Janice Yang (Westport, Conn.) fired in a late empty net marker to ice the contest.

Senior goalie Aubree Moore (Bowie, Md.) turned in 28 saves in the victory, including a sprawling glove save late in the third period to protect a 3-3 tie while facing a 6-on-4 disadvantage.

St. Lawrence took the initial lead 5:13 into the contest when Mel Desrochers followed her own shot from the red line and dropped in a backhanded shot. The Saints used lightning-quick shifts to maintain a high tempo and carried the 1-0 lead into the second period.

Vella got Brown on the board 57 seconds into the next frame, potting a wrist shot from just inside the blue line off a crossing pass by junior Sarah Robson (Mississauga, Ontario).

Senior Jessica Hoyle (Toronto, Ontario) nearly gave the Bears the lead on a shot at an open right side of the net, but Jacqueline Wand occupied the crease for St. Lawrence and batted Hoyle's shot away to keep the score tied at 1-1. At 11:43, Jessica Hon found herself all alone on the right wing and bided her time for a wrister to put the Saints up 2-1.

Robson looked to earn the equalizer on a breakaway with 5:40 left in the second, but Carmen McDonald came up with the glove save to spoil the potential short-handed goal. Just as the Bears came back to full strength, Robson snagged the puck midice and hit Keon for a 2-on-1 five-hole marker to push a 2-2 tie.

Keon struck again 26 seconds into the third period, showing patience as she carved from left to right in front of the net before unleashing a crisp wrist shot to take a 3-2 lead. Facing a one-goal deficit, the Saints pulled MacDonald with nearly four minutes remaining in lieu of a sixth skater. A Brown holding penalty at 17:11 faced the Bears with a 6-on-4 situation, but Moore and company held strong to turn away an aggressive St. Lawrence offense. Desrochers saw the Saints' best chance with 1:29 left on a low skidding shot but Moore made a diving glove save to squander the attempt.

After several minutes of hunkering down against the fortified St. Lawrence attack, the Bears broke loose from the defensive zone and Yang gathered the puck on the left wing. With no defenders in sight, Yang skated untouched and whipped in the empty net goal to seal the 4-2 victory.

McDonald finished with 19 saves for the Saints, who narrowly outshot Brown, 30-23.

The Bears return to action tomorrow when they host No. 5/6 Clarkson in an ECAC Hockey showdown at 4 p.m.