Women’s Hockey Edged by UVM in OT, 4-3

Women’s Hockey Edged by UVM in OT, 4-3

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Senior Jessica Hoyle (Toronto, Ontario) scored her second goal of the night to tie the game at 3-3 with under seven minutes to go in regulation but Dayna Colang delivered the game-winner 3:45 into overtime to hand the Brown women's hockey team a 4-3 defeat at the hands of the University of Vermont in non-league action at Meehan Auditorium on Tuesday. The Bears slip to 1-7-2 overall while the Catamounts climb to 7-7-2 on the season.

Sophomore Ariana Rucker (Oakton, Va.) posted the lone goal of the first period to give Brown an early 1-0 lead and junior Sarah Robson (Mississauga, Ontario) picked up a pair of assists. For UVM, Sarah Campbell also scored twice.

In net, Brown senior goalie Aubree Moore (Bowie, Md.) made 43 saves to eclipsed the 40-save plateau for the fourth time this season. Catamounts freshman netminder Madison Litchfield stopped 21 shots for her third victory of the year.

Rucker got the Bears off to a strong start when she dumped in a rebound off a Hunter Davis (Clifton Park, N.Y.) shot from the point at 3:45 in the first period. UVM saw a chance to tie it with 1:12 left in the frame on a 2-on-1 breakaway, but Amanda Pelkey's shot was blocked by a hustling Kelly Micholson (Elk Grove Village, Ill.) to allow Brown to skate into the first intermission with the 1-0 lead.

The Catamounts broke their scoreless streak with two goals in the second period to jump ahead 2-1. The Bears saw the first chance to extend their lead on a powerplay at 4:37, but UVM killed the penalty without surrendering a shot on goal. The Catamounts survived another man-down situation and Campbell struck to knot the score at 1-1 in the 12th minute on a wide-open rebound shot from the right circle.

With just under two minutes to play in the period, Colang fired a shot from up top that found the back left corner of the net thanks to a well-placed screen by Victoria Andreakos.

The Bears spent a collective eight minutes in the box on four penalties in the third period but managed to survive each infraction without allowing a goal. Campbell did, however, put UVM up 3-1 on a one-timer just inside the left circle off a pass from Kellie Dineen from behind the net.

Brown stormed back and Hoyle struck for two unanswered goals to force a 3-3 tie, beginning with a quick pounce on a Robson rebound the trickled into no-man's land in front of the crease at 7:42. Then, following a Brown roughing penalty, Hoyle knocked in the shorthanded equalizer. A faceoff in the defensive zone was won by the Catamounts but Hoyle stole the puck against the right boards and fired a long pass to junior Janice Yang (Westport, Conn.) streaking at mid ice. Yang dashed down the left wing, pulled back sharply and flicked a perfect pass to Hoyle, who crashed in and buried the puck to the lower left.

A penalty for each team in the final two minutes spelled four-on-four hockey until regulation expired, and a Brown slashing infraction just 16 seconds into the extra period faced the Bears with a 5-on-3 deficit. The Bears' defense buckled down and survived the disadvantage, but Colang outmaneuvered two defenders and snuck in an even-strength forehand shot to give UVM the overtime win with 1:15 left in the period.

Brown continues its string of non-league games on Saturday when the Bears head across town to take on Providence College in the 19th annual Mayor's Cup. Opening faceoff is scheduled for 3 p.m.