Brown Edged by Dartmouth, 2-0

Brown Edged by Dartmouth, 2-0

HANOVER, NEW HAMPSHIRE – In the midst of a blizzard, the Brown women's ice hockey team (4-17-1, 3-14-0 ECAC) fell to the squad from Dartmouth (13-7-4, 8-6-3 ECAC), 2-0, in tonight's ECAC hockey contest at Thompson Arena in Hanover, New Hampshire. Junior goaltender Aubree Moore (Bowie, MD) kept the Bears in the game, making 28 saves in the loss.

A slow first period picked up in intensity when an inference penalty was called on Ali Rolandelli (Minnetonka, MN) just 3:16 into the stanza. Dartmouth was able to generate a few chances on the power play, but good saves by Moore and smart defensive maneuvers helped Brown kill the penalty.

The Bears earned an advantage of their own with just under ten minutes to go in period, and, less than a minute in, freshman Monica Masucci (Toronto, Ontario) almost gave the team a 1-0 lead over the Big Green. Sophomore Lauren Vella (Staten Island, NY) took a high shot from the point, and Masucci reached up to bat the puck right into the back of the net. The goal was immediately waved off, however, as the referees called high sticking on the play.

As the clock wound down, the action continued to move back and forth between zones, with both sides taking limited shots on goal, but, with 2:55 left on the clock, Dartmouth's Laura Stacy broke the stalemate. Stacy came in over the blue line on a breakaway with freshman Kelly Micholson (Elk Grove Village, IL) hot on her heels. In her attempt to shake off Micholson, she jumped over the defenseman's stick and found the puck on the other side where she roofed it over Moore's glove. The goal, assisted by Karlee Odland and Olivia Whitford, gave Dartmouth a 1-0 lead at the first intermission.

Brown began a penalty-filled second period on the power play, as Dartmouth's Olivia Whitford went to the box for tripping with just under 90 seconds left to play in the first, but the Big Green wasted no time in taking a 2-0 lead, building their advantage 1:27 into the stanza. With play centered in Brown's defensive zone, Jenna Hobeika sent a pass from the far boards that landed right on Reagan Fischer's stick at the crease. She took a low shot, stick side, and planted the puck in the back of the net for her 14th goal of the season. Camille Dumais also assisted on the tally.

Dartmouth rarely let the puck cross the blue line for the rest of the period, taking 12 shots on goal to Brown's five attempts on the Big Green net. In spite of frequent trips to the penalty box, both teams remained flawless on the penalty kill at the second intermission.

Brown put offensive pressure on Dartmouth at the start of the third, but the Big Green responded and controlled the play for the duration of the period, keeping the lanes closed in front of goaltender Lindsay Holdcroft. In spite of two power plays in the final stanza, Brown was unable to generate much offense.

However, a Dartmouth penalty at the end of the period gave the Bears a final opportunity to narrow the score. Head coach Amy Bourbeau called a time out and opted to pull Moore to give the Bears a six-on-four advantage for the final 66 seconds. The squad fought, but couldn't beat Holdcroft, as Brown ultimately fell, 2-0.

The Big Green out shot the Bears over the course of 60 minutes, making 30 attempts on goal to Brown's 15. Both penalty kills were perfect in a whistle-filled game, with the Bears killing five advantages to the Big Green's four.

Brown was originally scheduled to travel to Cambridge, Massachusetts after this evening's contest to take on the Harvard Crimson, but the game has been moved to Tuesday, February 19 at 7:00pm due to Winter Storm Nemo. Prior to that game, the Bears will welcome the Union Dutchwomen and the Rensselaer Engineers to Meehan Auditorium for two ECAC contests. Brown will face-off against Union at 7:00pm on Friday, February 15 before taking on Rensselaer at 4:00pm on Saturday, February 16.

3 – 5 – 7 - 15

Dartmouth: 9 – 12 – 9 - 30

First Period: D. Stacy (Odland, Whitford), 17:05. Penalties: B, 1-2. D, 2-4.

Second Period: D, Fischer (Hobeika), 1:27. Penalties: B, 2-4. D, 1-2.

Third Perod: none. Penalties: B, 2-4. D, 2-4.

Goalies: B, (Moore), 58:56, 8 – 11 – 9 – 28 . D, (Holdcroft), 60:00, 3 – 5 – 7 – 15.