No. 3/3 Cornell Tops Brown In Game One of ECAC Quarterfinals, 4-2

No. 3/3 Cornell Tops Brown In Game One of ECAC Quarterfinals, 4-2

Ithaca, N.Y. – Facing the No. 1 overall seed in the ECAC Hockey Playoffs and the third ranked team in the country, the Brown women gave Cornell a scare in game one of a best-of-three series, coming back from a 3-0 hole and closing to within a goal; nearly tying it up in the third period, before the Big Red were able to close out the 4-2 win. The two teams will face off in game two tomorrow afternoon at 2 p.m., at Lynah Rink.

Sophomore goalie Aubree Moore (Bowie, Md.) overcame two early goals, actually shutting out Cornell in the second period, making 30 saves in the game to keep the Bears in it until the final horn.

The Bears got goals from rookie defenseman Lauren Vella (Staten Island, N.Y.) and junior center Alena Polenska (Kutna Hora, Czech Republic), making it a 3-2 game after two periods, but the Big Red came up with the late goal to seal the victory.

The Bears got an early opportunity, as a tripping call on the Big Red put Brown on the power play just 27 seconds into the game. Bruno's chances were limited however, as Cornell's penalty kill unit was able to work off the infraction.

32 seconds after the game returned to full strength, Rebecca Johnston put the Big Red up 1-0, registering her 50th point of the season.

The Cornell lead quickly went to two as just 1:07 after the first score, Erin Barley-Maloney was able to find the back of the net.

Cornell had its first power play of the game at 13:58 in the first and made quick work of the opportunity, as Johnston registered her second of the game 38 seconds into the advantage for a 3-0 Big Red lead.

Brown found one of its best chances of the day when rookie Kaitlin Keon (Toronto, Ontario) came up with puck on the breakaway with just 1:02 to play in the first. Keon made a nice move and shot attempt, but Cornell goalie Amanda Mazzotta was able to make the save.

The Bears got on the board late in the first, controlling the puck in the Cornell zone after Keon's breakaway and shot on goal. Rookies Sarah Robson (Mississauga, Ontario) and Brittany Moorehead (Clinton, N.Y.) combined to set up Vella for the goal as Brown got some momentum heading into the first intermission.

Despite being out-shot for much of the period, the Bears stayed with the Big Red and at 14:09 of the second, they made it just a one-goal game as Polenska rifled one past Mazzota off the feed from sophomore defender Jennifer Nedow (Brockville, Ontario).

The Bears nearly tied the game in the first five minutes of the final period as senior Skyelar Siwak (Olds, Alberta) was able to drag the puck in front of the Cornell net, flipping it towards the glove side of Mazzotta, but Big Red goalie was able to make the save.

In the end it was Cornell who would find the last goal when at 10:06 in the third senior Catherine White tallied her 14th goal of the season.

The Bears and Big Red will face off in game number two tomorrow afternoon at 2 p.m., with game three being played on Sunday at 2 p.m., if necessary.