Dartmouth Edges Brown in Overtime; Bears Clinch Playoff Spot for First Time Since 2006

Dartmouth Edges Brown in Overtime; Bears Clinch Playoff Spot for First Time Since 2006

Hanover, N.H. – For the first time since 1996, a game between the Bears and Big Green at Dartmouth went to overtime, but the it was the Big Green who were able to squeeze out the victory, netting the game-winner with just 22.4 seconds left. Despite the overtime loss, Brown will head to the ECAC Hockey playoffs for the first time since 2006, claiming the final spot over RPI, which fell at Quinnipiac, 5-1.

The Bears will now head to Ithaca, N.Y., next weekend to take on No. 3 Cornell in a best of three series in the first round of the ECAC Hockey Playoffs.

Sophomore goalie Aubree Moore (Bowie, Md.) was sensational in net for the Bears, making 34 saves in the game, including 14 in the third period and four in overtime.

The 1996 contest between the two teams in Hanover ended in a 3-3 tie. Brown's last win or point at Dartmouth last came in February of 2002.

The Bears took an early 1-0, lead at 3:32 in the first period as Lauren Vella (Staten Island, N.Y.) set up Laurie Jolin (Lachine, Quebec) with the perfect pass, which the third-year center dragged left then went top shelf on the stick side to give Brown the road momentum.

Brown kept it going for most of the first until a tripping call at 17:09 in the initial stanza brought the Big Green back into the game. Margaux Sharp scored off the feed from Reagan Fischer just 38 seconds into the infraction, tying it up at one-all.

The Bears and Big Green seemed to be evenly matched through most of the second period, while Brown enjoyed an advantage in shots on goal, 9-5, through the first 10 minutes of play.

At 6:11 in the second, senior Skyelar Siwak (Olds, Alberta) looked to have found rookie Sarah Robson (Mississauga, Ontario) open on the break, but Dartmouth was whistled for an inference call on a play that send Robson into the Big Green net. Despite the newly found open ice, the Bears could not find the go-ahead-score.

Both teams played cautiously to open the third, not wanted to give up the to potential game-winner. At 8:58, Brown was called for a hooking infraction, which allowed Dartmouth to turn up the offensive pressure. Moore was able to stand up to the challenge however, making four saves as the Bears worked off the penalty.

Brown went on the power play with just 29 seconds left in regulation after a tripping call on the Big Green, but could not find the back of the net before the whistle.

Dartmouth was able to work off the infraction at the start of the overtime period, and actually got a close call shortly after, as the red light behind the Bears' goal came on after what looked like a cover-up by Moore. After review, the officials determined the puck had not crossed the goal line and play continued.

The Big Green were able to take offensive control late in period, even pulling the goalie 1:20 of the period, and with just 22.4 seconds remaining Jenna Hobeika was able to finally get one past the Bears for a 2-1 victory.