Brown Battles Union to 2-2 Overtime Tie

Brown Battles Union to 2-2 Overtime Tie

Schenectady, N.Y. – Brown battled back twice on Friday night at Messa Rink as the Bears fought to a 2-2 overtime tie against Union. The Dutchwomen did not trail in the contest, but Brown was able to pick up an ECAC Hockey point thanks to sophomore Jessica Hoyle's (Toronto, Ontario) game-tying goal with just 1:57 left in regulation.

Brown (5-7-7, 2-6-4 ECAC Hockey) out-shot Union (3-18-4, 1-10-2 ECAC Hockey), 38-22, but goalie Kate Gallagher was strong in net for the Dutchwomen, sending away some of the Bears' best offensive attacks.

Union took the lead in the first period and held the advantage until 13:44 in the second when rookie Sarah Robson (Mississauga, Ontario) tied it up. The Dutchwomen would retake the lead halfway through the third, but Hoyle's heroics helped Brown secure the tie.

After the two teams found their edges for the first five minutes of the game, a tripping call on the Bears set up the Union offense. With the advantage, the Dutchwomen were able to work the puck deep in the Brown zone and fire off a few shots, the second to last being deflected to the right by goaltender Aubree Moore (Bowie, Md.), but Emilie Arseneault was right there to bury the shot at 6:37 and put Union up, 1-0.

The Brown offense really started to find its groove as the second period progressed, finding open passing and shooting lanes against the Dutchwomen defense. At 13:44, the Bears were finally able to find and opening against Gallagher.

After Bruno put several shots on the Union net, which included some highlight reel saves from Gallagher, Robson was able to catch her out of position, blasting in the equalizer for her third goal of the season.

The power play came back to bite the Bears again halfway through the third period as another tripping call led to the advantage for Union. At 9:43 Christine Valente netted the go-ahead-goal.

Brown got a chance to find the equalizer with just under six minutes to play when Union was called for a hold.

With just 10 seconds left in the power play, sophomore Jennifer Nedow (Brockville, Ontario) thought she had come up with the game-tying-goal, raising her arms in triumph after the blast from the point, but no light came on. On the next whistle the play was put under review, but it was determined that shot hit the cross bar and did not cross the goal line.

Facing a loss, Brown pulled the goalie with 2:07 remaining and just 10 seconds later the Bears had a 2-2 game. The extra attacker led to rookies Janice Yang (Westport, Conn.) and Robson finding Hoyle for the equalizer. 

Both teams came out strong looking for two points in the standings, but it was all about the goalies, as both Moore and Gallagher refused to let in another.

Brown returns to the ice tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon at 4 p.m., when it takes on RPI in Troy, N.Y., in what will be a battle for sole possession of eighth place and the final ECAC Hockey playoff spot.