Brown Takes Back Mayor’s Cup! Downs PC, 2-1

Brown Takes Back Mayor’s Cup! Downs PC, 2-1

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Brown's Amy Bourbeau made a triumphant return to her alma mater as the head coach of the Bears, with Brown taking back the Mayor's Cup with a 2-1 win over Providence College on Black Friday. Brown (3-2-5) was able to net two goals in the first period and then hold off a late surge from the Friars (6-8-3) to win the 17th Annual Mayor's Cup matchup.

The Friars were first to go on the power play as a body-checking infraction at 5:27 put PC on the player advantage, but the Bears' penalty kill unit stood strong, keeping Providence off the board.

Just a minute later, sophomore Jessica Hoyle (Toronto, Ontario) nearly put Brown up, corralling a turnover in front of the PC goal and putting a nifty shot on net. Friar goalie Genevieve Lacasse was able to stay in front of the attempt however, keeping the scoreless tie.

The Brown penalty kill came up big again in the first, denying a PC opportunity at 9:33 after the second body-checking call of the game.

Only three minutes later, rookie Janice Yang (West Port, Conn.) tallied her first career goal, taking the pass from senior co-captain Katelyn Landry (Belmont, Mass.) for an early 1-0 Brown lead at 12:37. Yang showed excellent stick-handling skill on the play, actually batting the puck in mid-air past the glove of Lacasse.

Bruno's lead expanded 1:54 later. Brown got a power play opportunity on a PC interference call and made the most of the player advantage as rookie Brittany Moorehead (Clinton, N.Y.) netted her second career goal in her first-ever start, putting Brown up 2-0, just 14:31 into the game. Junior Laurie Jolin (Lachine, Montreal) and senior Jacquie Pierri (Montclair, N.J.) were there for the assists.

Providence got an early advantage in the second on a hooking call at 2:36. Despite a focused effort from the Friars after not converting on their first two power play attempts, sophomore Aubree Moore (Bowie, Md.) was able to come up with a big save and help the penalty kill unit keep PC off kilter until an interference call made it 4-on-4 hockey for 27 seconds.

Despite the extra space on the ice, neither team could convert a scoring chance.

PC continued to keep offensive pressure on the Bears for most of the second period and then got another power play at 12:13. The Friars continued to pepper the Brown goal, but nothing was able to get past Moore.

Brown got an opportunity late in the second as a tripping call at 2:21, but the PC penalty kill was able to maintain a scoreless period.

It was physical third period as the Friars pulled out all the stops in search of its first goal. It took until 14:31 into the final regulation period, but the PC power play unit was able to find a way to get one past Moore as Abbey Gauthier took the assist from Jessica Vella to cut the Brown advantage to one.

Providence seemed to feed off the goal, using constant pressure as they searched for the game-tying goal, even pulling the goalie with 96 seconds left. Even with the extra skater, Moorehead was able to breakaway with the puck, and was held to force PC to re-enter their goalie as the Bears took back to the Mayor's Cup.

Brown will be back in action this Sunday, November 27 at 2 p.m., when they take on the No. 4 nationally ranked Boston College Eagles. 

Brown takes back the Mayor's Cup with a 2-1 at PC.