Bears Fall to UMass, 2-1, in Overtime

Bears Fall to UMass, 2-1, in Overtime

Sept. 23, 2008

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - The Brown field hockey team (1-5) dropped a close, 2-1, decision to visiting UMass (6-2) in overtime on Tuesday afternoon at Warner Roof. Leading 1-0 with 7:06 remaining in the game, the Bears could not pull away with the win, as the Minutewomen tied the contest with 4:18 remaining and then scored the game-winning goal just 4:09 into overtime.

UMass dominated the first period of play, holding possession of the ball for the majority of the half and posting a 9-3 shot advantage. However, Brown's defense did a great job of limiting the shots that reached sophomore Lauren Kessler (Burtonsville, MD), as she needed to make just three saves in the period, as the two teams headed into the break in a scoreless tie.

Brown picked up its intensity in the second half, but still managed to get off three shots, as the Minutewomen again held a 9-3 advantage in shots. However, a yellow card to UMass' Mary Shea with 11:26 remaining gave the Bears a one-player advantage for five minutes and Brown was able to capitalize to take a 1-0 lead.

On a UMass clearing attempt, senior Victoria Sacco (Madison, NJ) came up to stop the ball just inside the 50-yardline. She passed it up field to senior Sara Eaton (Arlington, VA), who beat her defender and passed the ball from the top of the circle to freshman Leslie Springmeyer (New Vernon, NJ) at the left post. With UMass goalie Alesha Widdall out to play Springmeyer, the rookie forward shot the ball into the opposite corner for her first career goal with 7:06 remaining.

However, the Minutewomen earned a corner, their 14th of the game, with just under five minutes to play, and executed perfectly. Jackie Tait got the ball at the top of the circle and immediately passed it to Makaela Potts on her left. Potts sent her shot near-post with 4:18 on the clock to force overtime.

UMass started with the ball in the extra period and never allowed Brown to gain possession. Erin Parker fired a shot from the left side of the circle that skipped past Kessler just 4:09 into the 15-minute period, lifting the Minutewomen to the win.

Springmeyer and sophomore Tacy Zysk (Walpole, MA) led Brown with two shots each, while Kessler finished with six saves.

The Bears return to action on Saturday, September 27th, when they travel to Hanover, NH to face Dartmouth in a 12:00 noon Ivy contest.