Bears Drop Overtime Heartbreaker to Cornell, 2-1

Bears Drop Overtime Heartbreaker to Cornell, 2-1

PROVIDENCE, RI – The Brown field hockey team (3-11, 1-4) dropped a 2-1 heartbreaker to visiting Cornell (10-3, 4-1), falling to the Big Red in overtime, the Bears' second straight overtime game.  The Big Red came back from a 1-0 deficit to tie the score midway through the second half and then tallied the game-winner just 4:33 into the first overtime.

After back-and-forth action in the midfield during the opening 10 minutes, Brown earned the first corner of the game and immediately capitalized to take a 1-0 lead on the first shot of the game by either team.

Junior Leslie Springmeyer (New Vernon, NJ) inserted the ball up to classmate Laura Iacovetti (Blue Bell, PA) at the top. Iacovetti left the ball for senior Katie Hyland (Riegelsville, PA), who fired a hard shot to the left corner for her third goal of the year.

The two teams would close the first half with four shots a piece, as junior Lauren Kessler (Burtonsville, MD) made a save on a shot by Mattie Prodanovic in the 22nd minute on a Cornell corner to keep the Big Red off the board.

Thanks in large part to Kessler, who made seven saves in the second half, during which Brown was outshot, 12-1, and out-cornered, 7-1, the Bears held onto their 1-0 lead until the 52:02 mark. On one of Cornell's seven second-half corners, Prodanovic converted a pass from Catie De Stio and beat Kessler to the right side to tie the score at 1-1.

Just prior to the goal, Cornell had an extended possession in the circle, during which Hyland made a defensive save on a shot by Genevieve Collins and Kessler stopped an attempt by Paige Mollineaux.

Following the goal, Kessler recorded four more saves, including a lunging toe save on a shot by Prodanovic on another corner in the 68th minute. However, just after that save, Kessler charged out of the net to chase a lose ball and collided with a Cornell player, before getting issued a yellow card.

Sophomore Alexis Aurigemma (Wilmington, DE) entered in relief, and didn't face a shot as the two teams headed for overtime.

Aurigemma came up with a huge save 3:30 into the overtime period on a Cornell corner, before Kessler re-entred the game. The Big Red were able to draw two more corners, converting on their second one when Hannah Balleza, who had inserted the ball, redirected a shot by Prodanovic at the left post for the win.

For the game, Cornell outshot Brown, 18-5, and earned 15 corners to Brown's five. Kessler finished with eight saves, while Aurigemma recorded one.

The Bears are on the road for a pair of games next week, as they wrap up their non-league schedule on Tuesday at Holy Cross (6:00) and play at Penn on Sunday (12:00).

Pictured: Katie Hyland '11. Photo by