Taft Lifts Bears to 3-2 Double Overtime Victory over Harvard

Taft Lifts Bears to 3-2 Double Overtime Victory over Harvard

post-game interview with Katie Hyland '11 available here.

Junior Abigail Taft (Shaker Heights, OH) scored her second goal of the game with 2:25 remaining in the second overtime to lift the Brown field hockey team (2-6, 1-2) to a thrilling, 3-2, double overtime victory over Harvard (3-6, 1-2) on Saturday afternoon at Warner Roof.

Junior Leslie Springmeyer (New Vernon, NJ) started the play leading up to Taft's game-winner when she sent the ball up the right side of the field to sophomore Kelley Harrison (Houston, TX) in the right corner. Harrison worked the ball around the Harvard defense and towards the goal, before crossing it for Taft, who dove for the ball and tipped it past Harvard's Cynthia Tassopoulos for the victory.

The first half of the game was relatively even in every category except the one that mattered, as the Bears held a 2-0 lead at halftime, despite getting outshot by a slim, 4-3, margin.

On one of their three first-half corners, Taft, stationed at the left post, tipped a shot by senior Katie Hyland (Riegelsville, PA) into the net for the 1-0 Brown lead exactly 18 minutes into the game.

Less than four minutes later, at 21:37, senior Tacy Zysk (Walpole, MA) redirected a Bridget McNamara (Bethesda, MD) insert into the right corner of the net to give Brown a 2-0 lead, which is how the score remained until the 51st minute.

The Crimson picked up the intensity in the second half, outshooting Brown, 8-6. And, in a span of less than three minutes the score was tied 2-2 on goals by Katelin Wahl and Chloe Keating.

The two teams remained tied at 2-2 through the end of regulation and headed to overtime. Harvard had a dangerous chance early in the first overtime when Rachael Rosenfeld raced in on a breakaway, which was broken up by junior goalie Lauren Kessler (Burtonsville, MD).

After getting out cornered, 7-5, in regulation, the Crimson earned three corners in a row early in the second overtime. The first one ended when the stick stopper mishandled the insert. Harvard was able to get two shots off on the other two, but Kessler made one save and then Georgia McGillivray had her shot blocked by the Bears' defense.  

For the game, Harvard outshot Brown, 18-15, and had eight corners to Brown's seven. Both Tassopoulos and Kessler recorded six saves, including three each in overtime.

Brown returns to action on Tuesday, October 5, when it travels to Hamden, CT to face Quinnipiac in a 4:00 p.m. non-league contest.  

Pictured: Abigail Taft '12. Photo by DSPics.net.