Bears Edged by Columbia, 5-4, in Ivy Opener

Bears Edged by Columbia, 5-4, in Ivy Opener

Post-game interview with tri-captain Cassie Puhalla '11 available here.

Playing in front of a home crowd for the first time this season, the Brown field hockey team (0-4, 0-1) was edged, 5-4, by Columbia (4-1, 1-0) in the Ivy opener for both squads, Saturday afternoon at Warner Roof. Junior Leslie Springmeyer (New Vernon, NJ) led the Bears with two goals, while senior Katie Hyland (Riegelsville, PA) and freshman Torie Stearns (Rye, NY) each added one to lead Brown offensively.

The Bears came out with fire and Springmeyer put Bruno ahead, 1-0, just 6:12 into the game when she brought the ball in along the endline and beat Columbia's Christie O'Hara with a shot to the opposite side of the net for her first goal of the year.

Stationed at the left post, Springmeyer nearly gave Brown a 2-0 lead just 36 seconds later when she appeared to have tipped a long ball from freshman Avery Burns (Millersville, MD) past O'Hara. However it was ruled to have been tipped in by the defense, and waved off.

The Lions tied the score at 1-1 when Julia Garrison's shot from the top left of the circle went through traffic and past junior Lauren Kessler (Burtonsville, MD) at the 13:20 mark.

Brown again appeared to have answered when sophomore Kelley Harrison (Houston, TX) took a pass from Hyland on the Bears' only corner of the game, and redirected it past O'Hara at exactly 15 minutes. However, the goal was waved off due to a blocking call and just 2:30 later, the Lions would go up 2-1 when Desi Scherf's shot bounced off a Brown defender and past Kessler 17:30 into the game.

Things settled down following the Lions' second goal, as the teams headed into the second half with Columbia leading, 2-1.

Hyland tied the score at 2-2 just 8:02 after halftime when she converted a penalty stroke for her first goal of the season. Her goal started a stretch of 4:44 where the teams would combine for four goals with each squad scoring a pair.

Gabby Kozlowski answered Hyland's penalty stroke 1:02 later at 44:04 to regain the one-goal lead, before Springmeyer's second of the day at 45:23 tied the score at 3-3. Carson Christus put the Lions back on top, 4-3, at 47:46, ending the scoring spree.

However, Brown was not finished, as Stearns scored her first career goal when she tipped a pass from Hyland into the net, tying the score at 4-4 with 14:48 left to play.

The Lions added one more goal, as Garrison picked up a lose ball on a Columbia corner and beat Kessler for her second of the day with 7:53 remaining. Following the goal, the Lions went into a midfield trap, preventing Brown from generating many chances and the Bears could get no closer.

Kessler finished the afternoon with three saves, while O'Hara made two for the Lions. Brown has a quick turn around and will be back in action tomorrow afternoon when it hosts Bryant in a 12:00 noon contest.

Pictured: Leslie Springmeyer '12. Photo by