Bears Come Back from Two-Goal Deficit to Force Overtime, but Fall in the Extra Session to Harvard, 4-3

Bears Come Back from Two-Goal Deficit to Force Overtime, but Fall in the Extra Session to Harvard, 4-3

CAMBRIDGE, MA - Sophomore Abigail Taft's (Shaker Heights, OH) first goal of the season with 10:32 left in the game capped a two-goal Brown rally, tying the game at 3-3, as the Bears came back from a 3-1 deficit to force overtime. However, Harvard (4-4, 1-2) would score the game-winner just 1:28 into the extra session to earn a 4-3 victory over the Bears (3-6, 0-3) on Saturday afternoon at a rain-soaked Jordan Field.

The Crimson took the lead about eight minutes into the game, scoring on a penalty corner. Instead of shooting on the corner, Georgia McGillivray slid the ball to her left, to Carly Dickson. Dickson sent a shot from the top of the circle through traffic and past sophomore Caroline Washburn (Pittsburgh, PA), who stopped Dickson on a penalty stroke shortly thereafter to prevent Harvard from increasing its lead.

Brown got an equalizer at 27:34, following a corner. Junior Katie Hyland (Riegelsville, PA) faked a shot off senior Michaela Seigo's (Annandale, VA) pass, and senior Whitney Knowlton (Columbus, OH) banged in a shot from the left for her first career goal. Harvard answered just 21 seconds later, as Chloe Keating got the ball in the circle, turned and found Allie Kimmel on the left post for the finish.

Keating then made it 3-1 in the game's 46th minute, beating Washburn after a pass from Kristin Bannon left her all alone on the left side of the circle. This time it was Brown answering after barely a minute. After inserting a corner, sophomore Leslie Springmeyer (New Vernon, NJ) deflected freshman Elara Mosquera's (North Hampton) shot from the left side, igniting Brown's comeback.

The Bears tied the game for the second time on the afternoon with less than 11 minutes remaining to force overtime. Freshman Kelley Harrison (Houston, TX) centered a pass from the right end line to Taft in front for the score. Brown had earlier gotten a chance to tie, but junior Tacy Zysk (Walpole, MA) had her first shot stopped by Cynthia Tassopoulos and her second denied on a defensive save by Harvard's Molly Stansik.

Washburn finished with nine saves for the Bears, who return to action tomorrow afternoon, Sunday, October 4, when they host Vermont in a 2:00 p.m. game.