Bears Edged Out By George Mason, 64-59

Bears Edged Out By George Mason, 64-59

Dec. 10, 2005

Box Score

Providence, RI - Despite 32 points from its bench, the Brown women's basketball team dropped its second straight game with a 64-59 loss to George Mason on Saturday at the Pizzitola Center. After a flat start, the Bears rallied late in the first half to grab a narrow lead at halftime, a lead they would hold onto for over 16 minutes in the second half. Sharp three-point shooting and strong rebounding underneath allowed the Patriots to steal the lead down the stretch as Brown missed its final seven shots of the game.

Junior Ashley King-Bischof notched the first double-double of her career with 14 points and 11 rebounds off the bench while sophomore Annesley O'Neal tallied a career-high ten points off the bench as well.

George Mason ran out to a nine point lead, 13-4, in the early going as Ivy League Player of the Year candidate senior Sarah Hayes got into some early foul trouble. The Bears hung around, staying in striking distance with the well-timed shooting of senior Jackie Vocell, who led Brown with eight points in the first half. It fact it was Vocell's three with 5:29 left until halftime that gave the Bears their first lead of the game. 21-20.

A hard-earned jumper with the shot clock running down by O'Neal with 1:13 left gave Brown a 27-23 lead but a jumper with 31 seconds on the clock by the Patriots made it a two point game, 27-25, at the half.

Brown was able to maintain its lead through the majority of the second half but could not pull away, taking its largest lead of nine points, 45-36, at the 9:25 mark. Four straight free throws by George Mason cut the lead down to five, 49-44, with 5:53 to go while two straight put-backs soon made it a one-point contest, 49-48, just over a minute later. The Bears countered with four straight free throws of their own to take back a five point advantage, 53-48, but George Mason answered right back with a fast break lay-up and a three-point basket. Another three by the Patriots with 2:51 left gave them their first lead of the game since the 7:11 mark of the first half.

George Mason dominated the paint in the final two minutes of the game, getting back-to-back three-point play opportunities, which doomed the Bears. Converting on one of the two plays, the Patriots took control of a seven point lead, 61-54, with 1:59 left to play.

After trading baskets, Hayes hustled for back-to-back offensive rebounds and was fouled on both. Making three of four free throw attempts, Hayes got Brown to within four, 63-59, with 48 seconds left.

Two straight turnovers by Mason gave Brown golden opportunities but a missed three-point attempt by Kelly followed by three poor shot attempts by King-Bischof sent Brown into its winter break with a loss.

Hayes was contained to a quiet 11 points in 22 minutes as she attempted just four shots in the game. Vocell finished with ten points, her third straight game in which she has tallied double-figures. Freshman Catherine Schaper pulled down a season-high seven rebounds in 24 minutes of play.

The Bears will get a three-week rest now after playing four games in one week. Brown will travel down to Georgia Tech to take part in the Yellow Jackets Holiday Tournament. The Bears will face UMass in the first day of the tourney on Friday, Dec. 30 at 3 p.m.