Bears Defeat Lions in Double-Overtime, 72-69

Bears Defeat Lions in Double-Overtime, 72-69

Feb. 23, 2007

Final Stats

New York, NY - In an exciting Ivy League game that went into two overtimes, the Brown women's basketball team (5-20, 3-8 Ivy) defeated Columbia (7-18, 3-8 Ivy) 72-69 in a double-overtime thriller on Friday night at Levien Gym.

Although the Bears were down 38-24 at the half, the Bears came out hot as they quickly cut a 15-point deficit to just six in the first five minutes of play in the second half. Freshman Christina Johnson (Oakland, CA) hit a jumper just shy of the three-point line, followed by back-to-back lay-ups by freshman Lindsay Walls (Santa Cruz, CA) and two buckets by senior Lena McAfee (Reston, VA).

Brown and Columbia traded baskets for the next four minutes, as the Bears kept the score to, 44-38, with 11:38 left on the clock. A three pointer off a screen by freshman Shae Fitzpatrick (Lynnfield, MA) cut the deficit to five with 9:51 on the clock, but a break-away lay-up by Columbia's Megan Griffith put the lead back to seven with 8:48 left.

Free-throws by Fitzpatrick, a turn-around jumper in the paint by senior Ashley King-Bischof (Pleasanton, CA) and two free-throws by McAfee, brought the Bears within one, 50-49, with 4:50 on the clock.

The game stayed at 50-49 for the next two minutes, but was broken by Columbia's Danielle Browne's lay-up to put the Lions up 52-49 with 1:28 left in the game. King-Bischof picked up a steal with 1:01 on the clock and took it to the hole and got fouled. She converted both free-throws, which put the score at 52-51. Junior Annesley O'Neal (Franklin, GA) grabbed a loose ball, and King-Bischof hit a jumper from the top of the key to give brown a 53-52 lead over the lions with 30 seconds left in the game.

Columbia's Becky Hogue was fouled by Walls with 4.2 seconds left on the clock, she sunk the first to tie the game at 53-53, but missed the second, as both teams headed into a five-minute overtime.

Griffith scored the first basket in over-time, followed by lay-ups by Walls and Johnson, but free-throws by Griffith tied it up at 57 with 1:42 left. McAfee scored underneath off a nice pass from Walls, but the Lions' Frazier put in a lay-up to tie it once again at 59 with 10 seconds remaining.

Brown took a quick five-point lead off a jump shot by Walls and a three-pointer by King-Bischof in the second over-time, but Griffith hit a deep three to put the score at 64-62 in the Bears' favor. The Bears took a 69-66 lead with 36 seconds left. Two free-throws by King-Bischof and a free-throw by freshman by Johnson put the Bears ahead, 72-69, to end the game.

King-Bischof led the Bears with a double-double, 25 points and 10 rebounds, followed by Walls with 19 points and seven rebounds and mcAFee with 14 points and six rebounds.

The Bears will take on the Cornell Big Red tomorrow at 7:00 p.m. in Ithaca.