Bears Fall To Dartmouth, 63-48, In Battle For First Place

Bears Fall To Dartmouth, 63-48, In Battle For First Place

Feb. 12, 2005

Box Score

Hanover, NH - In a battle for first place in the Ivy League, the Dartmouth Big Green downed Brown 63-48 in front of a crowd of 1,716 at Leede Arena Saturday night. The Bears came into the game with a 6-1 record and were looking to knock the undefeated Big Green out of the top spot in the league standings. Out-rebounded 41-29, Brown was never able to get into a groove as Dartmouth held a least a nine point lead for a good portion of the game. The Bears were able to make it a one-point contest with 12:42 left in the second but the Big Green answered back to everything Brown threw at it. Junior Sarah Hayes scored a game-high 16 points along with nine rebounds to lead the 14-7 Bears.

Dartmouth started out cold, missing its first nine shots as Brown jumped out a 6-0 lead in what looked to be a low scoring affair. By the ten minute mark, Dartmouth was able to grab hold of a two point lead, 11-9, with a three by Jeanie Cullen. Turnovers plagued the Bears as they couldn't match their hot shooting from lastnight when they racked up 27 points in the first ten minutes of play against Harvard.

The Big Green continued to pound away at the Bears, building up 19-9 lead by the 8:26 mark with a huge 19-3 drive. Not allowing Brown to get into any sort of rhythm, Dartmouth connected on 8-8 free throws during the run.

The Bears finally got things going with an 8-0 run of its own with just under seven minutes left to play. Freshman Anne O'Neal knocked in five points during the span with a three-pointer and jumper in the key, which cut the lead to five, 24-19.

The Big Green sustained their solid shooting at the line, regaining a nine point edge by the three minute point with four straight at the line. A three by junior Colleen Kelly followed by a defensive lapse that left Fatima Kamara with a wide open lane to the basket sent Dartmouth into the locker room with a ten point lead, 32-22.

Brown opened up the second half with four answered points to come within six but Angie Soriaga drilled her second three of the night to give Dartmouth back a nine point cushion. Five quick points by Kelly dropped the lead to five with 15:49 showing the clock.

A three point play by sophomore Lena McAfee made it a one point game, 36-35, but once again Dartmouth was able to respond, completing a three-point play of its own. The Big Green extended their lead back to ten, 46-36, with their run and gun offense by the 11:35 mark. Ashley Taylor dumped in four points on the 8-2 drive, including a breakaway lay-up that capped off the run.

O'Neal's bucket with 7:23 left made it an eight point game, 48-40, until Ashley Taylor knocked down a three. Hayes then went on to score six straight points for the Bears but smart passing by the Big Green gave them open lay-ups to take control of the game for good, ending the game with a 10-2 splurge. On two consecutive plays, a Dartmouth player was left unmanned as a result of a double team. The team finished the game 20-23 at the line compared Brown's measly 5-7. For the game, Brown shot just 32 percent while Dartmouth made 44% of its attempts.

Brown will look to bounce back from the loss tonight as it heads down 95 to take on Penn and Princeton next weekend.