Women’s Basketball Ranked Ninth in WBCA Academic Top 25
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Brown University women's basketball team was recognized for its outstanding performance in the classroom during the 2012-13 season, earning a spot on the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Top 25 Team Honor Roll, announced Thursday.
The Bears ranked ninth overall on the NCAA Division I Top 25 Honor Roll with a 3.518 team grade-point-average. Brown ranked highest out of the four Ivy League teams placed on the list and was the only program from the Ancient Eight selected inside the top 10. Cornell (16), Harvard (21) and Yale (22) also made the list, while Utah Valley earned the top spot.
The WBCA Academic Top 25 annually recognizes women's basketball teams across the nation in NCAA Divisions I, II and III, the NAIA, and junior/community colleges that carry the highest combined grade point averages (GPAs) inclusive of all student-athletes on their rosters for the entire season. The 2012-13 season is the 18th in which the WBCA has produced the honor rolls.
"The GPAs produced this year by each of the Top 25 teams are quite remarkable," said WBCA CEO Beth Bass. "The coaches of these teams have done a terrific job encouraging their student-athletes to perform at their best both on the court and in the classroom. Congratulations to these 114 programs. I wish them each continued success."
A team's GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total number of hours attempted by all team members in the academic terms (semesters or quarters) that the season spans. Weighted grades are converted to a 4.0 scale. The GPAs are rounded to the nearest thousandth of a point. Teams are nominated for the honor by a WBCA-member head coach. A team must have a 3.000 or better GPA to be nominated.
WBCA Division I Top 25 Team Honor Roll
1. Utah Valley University - 3.639
T2. DePaul University - 3.625
T2. St. Francis College (N.Y.) - 3.625
4. Florida Gulf Coast University - 3.621
T5. Southeast Missouri State University - 3.546
T5. University of North Dakota - 3.546
7. University of Northern Iowa - 3.541
8. University of Denver - 3.519
9. Brown University - 3.518
10. North Dakota State University - 3.512
11. Oakland University - 3.503
12. Lehigh University - 3.498
13. South Dakota State University - 3.492
T14. Eastern Washington University - 3.491
T14. Western Carolina University - 3.491
16. Cornell University - 3.453
17. Youngstown State University - 3.438
18. Austin Peay State University - 3.437
19. University of Evansville - 3.411
20. Alcorn State University - 3.404
21. Harvard University - 3.399
22. Yale University - 3.385
23. University of New Mexico - 3.372
24. University of South Dakota - 3.368
25. University of Northern Colorado - 3.365