Bears Finish 15th Nationally At Hoehn Cup
New Haven, Conn. - Brown salvaged a 15th place national ranking
at the 2010 College Squash Association National Championship at
Yale, beating St. Lawrence, 7-2, on the final day of competition.
The Bears also dropped previous matches to Bates (7-2) and Bowdoin
Brown was strong at the top of the lineup with sophomore Brad Thompson winning, 3-0, at number one, junior Adrian Leanza, 3-1, at number two, junior Ben Clayman, 3-1, at three and senior Patrick Davis, 3-0, at four.
Freshman Eamon O'Connor was a 3-1 winner at six, and Chris Holter took a 3-1 decision over St. Lawrence at seven. Alex Heitzman of Brown beat the Saints Russell Woeltz 3-0 in the match at nine.
The Bears lost a disappointing match to Bowdoin, 6-3, Saturday afternoon. The match was an exciting advert for college squash played in front of a large crowd, but the Bears could not match the experienced opposition in the closer matches.
On the whole Brown won matches in three short games but lost the others in close nail-biting encounters.
Senior Co- Captain Pat Davis won impressively in three games as did freshman Eamon O'Connor and sophomore Tucker Bryan.
The Bears had match balls in Ben Clayman's match at #3, and there were valiant efforts by the Bears, but wins were hard to come by.
Bowdoin 6, Brown 3 2/20/10
1. Higgins,Palmer def. Thompson,Brad (Brown), 13-11,3-11,12-10,11-13,11-5
2. Funk,David def. Leanza,Adrian (Brown), 11-9,11-7,8-11,11-7
3. Bernard,Andrew def. Clayman,Benjamin (Brown), 11-9,7-11,13-11,6-11,13-11
4. Davis,Patrick (Brown) def. Cipriano,Peter, 11-6,11-9,11-5
5. Makhija,Arun def. Greenberg,Adam (Brown), 7-11,6-11,11-4,11-8,11-5
6. O Connor,Eamon (Brown) def. Madan Mohan,Rahul, 11-6,11-9,11-6
7. Fantini,William def. Holter,Christopher (Brown), 9-11,12-10,13-11,11-4
8. Hilboldt,Andrew def. Bryan,William (Brown), 11-8,11-2,11-7
9. Ha-Ngoc,Thai def. Heitzmann,Alex (Brown), 11-5,11-6,11-9 Bowdoin C
Bates 7, Brown 2, 2/19/10
1. Mahan, Kush (Bates) def. Thompson, Brad (Brown) 6-11,11-5,11-9,11-7
2. Greenberg, Jordan (Bates) def. by Leanza, Adrian (Brown) 6-11,11-8,11-8,11-5
3. Katz, William (Bates) def. Clayman, Benjamin (Brown) 11-4,11-9,11-7
4. Burns, Robert (Bates) def. Davis, Patrick (Brown) 11-8,11-5,11-8
5. Echeverria, Nicholas (Bates) def. Greenberg, Adam (Brown) 10-12,3-11,11-9,12-10,11-6
6. Lee, Dae Ro (Bates) def. O Connor, Eamon (Brown) 11-7,8-11,11-6,10-12,11-7
7. Williams, Patrick (Bates) def. by Holter, Christopher (Brown) 11-5,11-4,11-5
8. Keating, R.J. (Bates) def. Bryan, William (Brown) 4-11,11-4,17-15,11-8
9. Bedell, Eric (Bates) def. Heitzmann, Alex (Brown) 11-9,15-13,6-11,11-8
Brown 7, St. Lawrence 2
1. Brad Thompson (B) def. Scott Phillips, 3-0
2. Adrian Leanza (B) def. Amay Merchant, 3-1
3. Ben Clayman (B) def. Alex Dodge, 3-1
4. Patrick Davis (B) def. Jermaine Xaba, 3-0
5. Tyler Stout (SL) def. Adam Greenberg, 3-2
6. Eamon O'Connor (B) def. beat Nick Pearson 3-1
7. Chris Holter (B) def. Michael Badali, 3-1
8. Thoma Kraft (SL) def. William Bryan, 3-2
9. Alex Heitzman (B) def. Russell Woeltz 3-0
Pictured: Patrick Davis '10