Bears' Journey Ends at Top-Seeded Maryland In Second Round of NCAA Tournament

Bears' Journey Ends at Top-Seeded Maryland In Second Round of NCAA Tournament

Nov. 22, 2005

College Park, MD - The Brown men's soccer team's 2005 season came to an end on Tuesday against top-seeded Maryland in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Despite holding one of the top offenses in the country to one goal, the Bears could not crack the Terps keeper as they fell by a score of 1-0. Brown finishes the year with an 11-5-2 record, winning a share of its eighth Ivy League Title in the last 12 years. The Bears advanced to the second round of the tourney after defeating Rhode Island, 2-1, in overtime on Saturday in Providence.

Off the opening kick-off Brown got an early scoring chance when senior Ibrahim Diane made a move up the near side past three Maryland defenders. Getting to the ball was senior Keith Caldwell, who's shot from point blank range was saved by the Terrapins freshman keeper, Chris Seitz.

From then on it was all Maryland but the Brown defense held strong against the highly potent Terrapin offense. Senior Matt Britner kept Maryland off the board when he made a great slide tackle on Maryland's all-time leading scorer on a breakaway inside the box.

Midway through the half the Terrapins grabbed a 1-0 lead when A.J. Godbolt connected with Marc Burch, who drilled home his third goal of the season.

Freshman Jarrett Leech stopped the Terps from taking a 2-0 lead with a diving save in the opening minutes of the second half. The Bears had their chances soon after that with a Ben Brackett header sailing high and a corner kick served into a dangerous spot in the box.

Leech made two more key saves for the Bears, blocking a hard shot by Jason Garey and deflecting away an attempt by Burch. Heading into the final 20 minutes of play, the Bears were able to gain some momentum, controlling possession for a good stretch of time. Maryland's stout defense was able to clear away Brown's attempts, however, keeping their 1-0 lead.

With time running down, Maryland smartly played a game of keep away, not allowing the Bears many touches. With just three minutes left, Brown pieced together an aggressive attack but to no avail as Maryland will advance onto the third round. The Terps will play St. John's, a 1-0 winner over Dartmouth earlier in the night, on Saturday at 1 p.m.

"We made one mistake in the first half and almost tied it up at the end but things just didn't go our way," said Head Coach Mike Noonan after the game. "I'm very proud of this team and the job they did all year.