Cross Leads Men’s Soccer Past UNH, 1-0, in Overtime

Cross Leads Men’s Soccer Past UNH, 1-0, in Overtime

Laughlin Post-Game Interview

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Junior Will Cross (Nashville, Tenn.) knocked in a header 53 seconds into overtime to lift the Brown men's soccer team over New Hampshire, 1-0, in a non-conference matchup Tuesday evening at Stevenson Field. 

Men's Soccer Defeats UNH in OT, 1-0
Oct 28, 2014

Junior forward Will Cross gave the Bears the decisive goal on a header just 56 seconds into overtime on Tuesday night at Stevenson Field as Brown defeated UNH, 1-0.

Brown improves to 4-5-5 on the season, while the Wildcats drop to 5-9-1 overall.

After 90 minutes of scoreless play, the Bears scored 53 seconds into the first overtime period, when Cross tapped in his second tally of the season. Freshman Quinn English (Milwaukee, Wis.) started the play when he launched a long throw-in into the center of the box, where Cross wrestled for position and headed in the game-winner.

Sophomore Erik Hanson (Mechanicsburg, Pa.) made one stop in goal to secure the shutout victory in his first start of the season, while Carpenter made two saves for the Wildcats in the loss.  

UNH nearly drew first blood early in the contest, as A.J. Albers' blast from about 10 yards out rang off the crossbar to keep the game scoreless. New Hampshire held a 4-3 edge in shots during the opening 45 minutes.

Brown raced out of the gate after halftime with a quick opportunity as junior Jack Gorab (Newport Beach, Calif.) charged at the net to a centering pass, but the shot just sailed wide left. The second half featured eleven combined corner kicks, including several consecutive chances on both sides, but the backlines held tough and denied the opposition from posting a quality shot to eventually force overtime and set up the game-winning heroics.

Brown and UNH registered 10 shots apiece, while the Wildcats held the advantage in corner kicks, 8-5.

The Bears return to action on Saturday, Nov. 1 when they visit Penn at 7:30 p.m.