Men’s Soccer Edged at Princeton, 2-1

Men’s Soccer Edged at Princeton, 2-1

PRINCETON, N.J. – Junior Jack Gorab (Newport Beach, Calif.) scored the first goal of the contest in the 12th minute, but Princeton rebounded with two second-half tallies as the Brown men's soccer team fell on the road, 2-1, in Saturday afternoon's Ivy League game at Roberts Stadium.

Brown moves to 3-4-3 overall and 1-1 in the Ivy League, ending the team's 504-minute shutout streak, while Princeton improves to 5-3-2 on the season and 1-1 in the league.

Gorab broke a scoreless tie at 11:41 in the opening half with his second goal of the season. The play started on a throw in, before senior Ben Maurey (Downington, Pa.) corralled the ball and pushed it back to fellow senior Daniel Taylor (Greenwich, Conn.) at the top of the box. From there, Taylor sent a centering pass to Gorab, who rifled a shot past a defender and into the back of the net.

Brown outshot the Tigers by a 4-2 margin in the opening 45 minutes and went into the locker room with a one-goal lead at the half.

Princeton evened the score at 68:26 in the second half, when Cameron Porter converted a penalty kick for his eighth goal of the season.

The Tigers scored the game-winning tally at 83:46 as Joe Saiita found the back of the net off a cross from Vikram Pothuri to move the home side on top, 2-1, for the eventual victory.

Senior keeper Mitch Kupstas (Suwanee, Ga.), who entered the contest with four straight shutouts, allowed two goals on a pair of shots, while Ben Hummel made four stops on the other end. Brown outshot the Tigers in the game, 12-8.

Brown returns to action on Tuesday, Oct. 14 when they play Boston College on the campus of Babson College at 3:30 p.m. Brown's next home game is on Saturday, Oct. 18 against Harvard at 3:30 p.m. For tickets, purchase online, call the Brown Athletics Ticket Office at (401) 863-2773, or walk up to the Box Office located in the Pizzitola Sports Center, open Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.