Bears Capture First Ivy League Win in 2-1 Victory over Columbia

Bears Capture First Ivy League Win in 2-1 Victory over Columbia

Providence, RI- The No. 21-nationally ranked Brown men's soccer team captured its first Ivy League win of the season with a 2-1 victory over Columbia on Saturday evening at Stevenson Field. The Bears improved to 8-1 on the year while the Lions dropped to 2-6-1.

Both the Bears and Lions came out ready to play and battled to a scoreless first half. Columbia fired off its first shot just six minutes into the game when Kofi Agyapong blasted one wide of the net. But Brown's Ben Maurey (Downingtown, PA) posted a shot at the 14-minute mark that missed wide, and rookie Tim Whalen (Amston, CT) tried at 15:35 giving Columbia's Kyle Jackson his first save of four saves of the evening. However, Columbia was able to edge Brown 6-4 in shots in the first 45 minutes of the game.

After the intermission, the squad came out of the gates firing and outshot the Lions 7-1 in the first 13 minutes. Then, in the 70th minute, Bobby Belair (Myrtle Beach, SC) went down in the box to award Brown a penalty kick. Senior midfielder Thomas McNamara (West Nyack, NY) would take the kick for Bruno and sent the shot to the low right corner past Jackson to give Brown a 1-0 lead.

Just six minutes later, the Bears would tack on their second goal when Daniel Taylor flicked in a pass from senior defender Dylan Remick (Inverness, IL) at the 75:12 mark to tally his second goal of the season and extend Brown's lead to 2-0.

The Lions made a late push when Antonio Matarazzo netted a goal in the 82nd minute to put Columbia within one. In the remaining seven minutes of the game, the Lions got off just one shot that went wide as the Bears recorded their eighth win of the season.

McNamara led Brown's attack with five shots, followed by Maurey with one. The Bears outshot Columbia 11-3 in the second half to end the game with a 15-9 advantage. Brown also had a 4-1 advantage in corner kicks.

Columbia's Kyle Jackson ended the night with four saves in net, while Sam Kernan-Schloss (Arlington, VA) picked up one.

The Bears will be back in action at home at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 2, against Fairfield.


Photo of Daniel Taylor by