Mandel’s Second Half Goal Propels Bears Past Penn, 1-0

Mandel’s Second Half Goal Propels Bears Past Penn, 1-0

Providence, RI- The blizzard-like conditions on Stevenson Field on Saturday evening didn't stop the Bears from defending their home field as the squad picked up its eighth shutout of the season with a 1-0 victory over the visiting Penn Quakers.   Senior Austin Mandel (Tarzana, CA) scored in the 62nd minute to give the Bears a 1-0 edge in which Brown held onto to improve to 9-4-2 overall and 3-1-1 in the league and drop Penn to 6-7-2 and 1-4-0 in the Ivy standings.

In a fairly even first half where the Bears out shot the Quakers 8-6 and held a 2-1 advantage in corner kicks, Brown junior goalkeeper Sam Kernan-Schloss (Arlington, VA) made a big save for the Bears just 12:07 into the game after a shot by Travis Cantrell to keep the Quakers off the scoreboard.  Penn fired off a barrage of shots in the next seven minute, but they missed wide, high or were blocked by the Brown defense.

Senior Evan Coleman (Amherst, MA) had Brown's first good look on goal at the 34:19 mark, but Quaker keeper Tyler Kinn made the stop picking up his first of two saves in the first period.  Senior forward TJ Popolizio (Rexford, NY) had the Bears next shot on goal at the 44:24 mark but Kinn tallied the second stop of the half to send the game into halftime tied at 0-0.

Brown out shot Penn again in the second half, but this time it was 6-4 Brown's advantage, with a 2-0 edge in corners.  Brown's first shot of the game was by senior forward Sean Rosa, but it missed high, and Eric Robertson (San Antonio, TX) headed a shot at 52:25 but it too missed high.  It wasn't until the 62:18 mark that Penn would foul the Bears inside the box to reward Brown a penalty kick.  Mandel stepped up to the take the kick for Bruno and blasted one into the high left corner of the net and scored the go-ahead goal to give Brown a 1-0 lead, which would eventually win the game.

The Brown defense kept the Quakers away from the goal for the remainder of the game, but the Bears kept pressing trying to secure a second goal.  Senior midfielder Mike Manella (Toluca Lake, CA) almost made it 2-0 at the 71:56 mark but Kinn picked up his third save of the night, and senior midfielder Taylor Gorman (Freeport, ME) blasted a shot at the 83:45 mark but Kinn made another stop to keep the Bears from building their lead.

The goal was Mandel's first of the year, as he now has three points on the season.  The win improved Kernan-Schloss to 6-2-2 on the year as he earned his sixth shutout.

The Bears are back in action this Saturday, Nov. 5 in New Haven against Yale, and will then be back home to host Dartmouth on Saturday, Nov. 12 in their final game of the season.