No. 18 Bears Battle St. John’s to 1-1 Overtime Tie

No. 18 Bears Battle St. John’s to 1-1 Overtime Tie

The No. 18 Brown men’s soccer team (7-1-5) battled St. John’s University to a 1-1 double overtime tie on Tuesday night in Queens, NY. Senior midfielder Nick Elenz-Martin (Encinitas, CA) scored Brown’s lone goal in the 35th minute to give Bruno a 1-0 edge, but the Red Storm scored in the 60th minute on a penalty kick to tie the game.

Freshman Thomas McNamara (West Nyack, NJ) had the first chance of the game, but St. John’s Derby Carrillo in net tallied his first of six saves for the night to keep the Bears off the scoreboard.

St. John’s then had a few good looks at the net, but Brown’s Paul Grandstrand (Orono, MN) also made some solid saves to keep the game scoreless. It wasn’t until the 35th minute of play when Brown gained a 1-0 lead when Elenz-Martin collected a loose ball and fired a quick shot into the back of the net from just five yards out.

The Red Storm maintained control of the ball throughout most of the second half, as the squad out-shot the Bears 9-1 and earned a 5-1 edge in corner kicks. St. John’s tallied the equalizer in the 61st minute when Brown was whistled for handball in the box and the Red Storm was awarded a penalty kick. Nelson Beccerra stepped up to the spot and buried a kick inside the left post to tie the game at 1-1.

The Bears had a great look on goal in the 97th minute of play after a Red Storm foul gave the Bears a free kick from 20-yards out. Junior defender David Walls (Leeds, England) took the kick, but it bounced off the crossbar and the game remained tied.

Grandstrand tallied six saves in tonight’s contest as his record now sits at 7-1-5 on the year. McNamara and sophomore Sean Rosa (Montreal, Quebec) each had two shots on goal, while senior forward T.J. Thompson and Elenz-Martin had one.

The Bears will now get back to Ivy League action when it takes on Cornell on Saturday, Oct. 24 at 7:00 p.m. The squad will then host Penn on Sunday, Nov. 1.