Bears Edged By Top-Ranked Cornell, 11-8

Bears Edged By Top-Ranked Cornell, 11-8

April 28, 2007

Final Stats

Providence, Rhode Island - The Brown men's lacrosse team went toe-to-toe with #1 ranked Cornell for 60 minutes, but in the end the unbeaten Big Red showed why they are the top team in the nation, as the Bears dropped an 11-8 decision to Cornell before an overflow crowd of 2,190 at Stevenson Field. The win lifts the Big Red to 12-0 overall, 6-0 in the Ivy League, while Brown fell to 7-6 overall and 1-4 in Ivy play.

The two teams exchanged goals in the first quarter with seniors Will Davis (Falls Church, VA) and Michael Bernard (Upper Arlington, OH) scoring for the Bears, and Kohn Glynn and Henry Bartlett netting goals for the Big Red.

Cornell grabbed a 4-2 lead early in the second quarter, but the Bears quickly answered to tie the game, 4-4, on two goals by sophomore Kyle Hollingsworth (Darien, CT), his second goal with 6:46 left in the quarter. Cornel pulled ahead at the half on a goal by Max Seibald with 3:54 left in the half.

Brown senior David Madeira (Norwich, VT) opened the second half scoring at 14:24 of the third quarter on an assist by sophomore Jack Walsh (Chevy Chase, MD) to knot the score, 5-5. But the Big Red scored four straight goals to take control of the game, grabbing a 9-5 lead on David Mitchell's goal with 2:53 left in the quarter. Madeira scored again for the Bears in the quarter, but Seibold scored his second goal of the game to give the Big Red a 10-6 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

Alex Buckley (Ridgewood, NJ) got the Bears a little closer in the fourth quarter, scoring with 12:51 left to play on a pass from Madeira to bring the Bears to within 10-7 of the Big Red. Cornell's Ethan Vedder put the Big Red ahead by an 11-7 margin with 4:37 left in the game. Buckley closed out the scoring with an unassisted goal with 24 ticks left on the clock for the final score.

Bears' sophomore Jordan Burke (Potomac, MD) was brilliant in the Brown goal, keeping the Bears in the game with 13 saves, being peppered by 42 Big Red shots. Madeira, Buckley and Hollingsworth each scored two goals to lead the Bears.

John Glynn led the Big Red attack with three goals and an assist, while Seibold tossed in two goals and handed out two assists. Big Red senior goalie Matt McMonagle made nine saves, while facing 36 shots.

Coach Lars Tiffany and the Bears will wrap-up their 2007 season next week at Princeton. Game time is 1:00 p.m. at Class of 1952 Stadium.