Bears Fall To Big Green, 9-8, In Four Overtimes

Bears Fall To Big Green, 9-8, In Four Overtimes

March 24, 2007

Box Score

Hanover, New Hampshire - Like a heavyweight prize fight that went the distance, Brown and Dartmouth slugged it out for nearly 75 minutes before Dartmouth's Brian Koch scored with 1:09 remaining in the fourth sudden death overtime period to lead the Big Green to a 9-8 win over the 18th-ranked Bears in the Ivy League opener for both teams.

The four overtime game, covering 74 minutes and 51 seconds, is the second longest game in Brown lacrosse history. In 1987, Brown and Army played four overtimes, covering 75 minutes and 22 seconds.

The loss snapped a four-game winning streak for the Bears, who are now 4-2 overall, 0-1 Ivy, with both losses coming in overtime. The Big Green extended their record to 3-3, 1-0 in Ivy play.

Trailing 8-5 after three quarters, Brown launched a furious fourth quarter comeback on a goal by freshman Thomas Muldoon (Oakton, VA) and two by senior David Madeira (Norwich, VT) to tie the score 8-8 with 3:59 remaining to send the game into overtime. Bears' goalie Jordan Burke (Potomac, MD) came up with a big save with 30 seconds remaining in regulation to keep the score 8-8 at the end of regulation.

After three scoreless overtime periods, Koch scored the game-winning goal with 1:09 remaining in the fourth overtime period on an assist from Bonacci, following two saves by Burke.

Brown senior Alex Buckley (Ridgewood, NJ) opened the scoring at the 8:38 mark of the first quarter, but the Big Green answered 16 seconds later to tie the game, 1-1.

There were eight goals scored in a wide open second quarter. The Bears jumped out to a 3-1 advantage on goals by seniors David Madeira (Norwich, VT) and Will Davis (Falls Church, VA) with 10:23 remaining in the quarter. Goals by Dartmouth's Sussman and Handler knotted the score at 3-1. Brown's Michael Bernard (Upper Arlington, OH) scored to lift the Bears to a 4-3 lead, but the Big Green scored three goals in the last 4:14 to grab a 6-4 lead at the half.

Sussman opened the scoring in the third quarter to give the Big Green a 7-4 advantage, but Brown freshman Thomas Muldoon scored with 4:36 left in the quarter to cut the Big Green lead to 7-5. Sussman's third goal of the game gave the Big Green an 8-5 lead after three quarters.

Madeira led the Bears with three goals, while Muldoon added two goals and an assist. Burke came up with a career high 21 saves, including four saves in the sudden death overtime periods

The Bears will be back in action again on Tuesday, March 27, traveling to Vermont for a 3:00 p.m. game against the Catamounts.

Score By Qtrs:	1st	2nd	3rd	4th	OT	OT2	OT3	OT4	FINAL
#18 Brown (4-2)	1	3	1	3	0	0	0	0	8
Dartmouth (3-3)	1	5	2	0	0	0	0	1	9

Brown Goals: David Madeira 3, Thomas Muldoon 2, Alex Buckley 1, Will Davis1 , Michael Bernard 1.

Brown Assists: Alex Buckley 1, Jack Walsh 1, Mike Bernard 1, Will Davis 1

Dartmouth Goals: Ari Sussman 3, Brian Koch 2, Nick Bonacci 1, Wilson Handler 1, Jon Livades 1, Kyle Lagratta 1

Dartmouth Assists: Nick Bonacci 3, Brian Koch 1, Ari Sussman 1 , Jordan Livadas 1

Goalie Saves: Brown - Jordan Burke: 21 saves, 9 goals allowed, 75:51 Dartmouth - Michael Novosel: 8 saves, 8 goals allowed, 75:51

Shots: Brown - 41 Dartmouth - 41

Ground Balls: Brown - 28; Dartmouth -36

Face-Offs: Brown - 10/23; Dartmouth - 13/23

Extra Man Goals: Brown - 0/0; Dartmouth - 1/6

Clears: Brown - 24/32; Dartmouth - 16/24