Bears Score Three Third-Period Goals to Force Overtime, but Fall to Quinnipiac, 7-6

Bears Score Three Third-Period Goals to Force Overtime, but Fall to Quinnipiac, 7-6

March 7, 2008

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - Trailing, 6-3, heading into the final period, the Brown men's ice hockey team (6-20-4, 6-14-3), seeded 11th in the ECAC Hockey Tournament, scored three goals in the final seven minutes to force overtime, including senior Jeff Prough's (Farmington Hills, MI) tying goal with 5.4 seconds left in regulation, but sixth-seeded Quinnipiac (18-13-4, 10-9-4) scored the game-winning goal 11:58 into the first overtime to take a 1-0 lead in the best-of-three series.

The two teams played a physical first period that saw Quinnipiac hold a 16-8 advantage in shots and four penalties for each team, seven of which were all called during a 4:32 span during the middle third of the period. After things started to settle down following the fourth penalty on the Bobcats at 11:50, the Bears seemed to get into a better rhythm.

With just over two minutes remaining in the period, Quinnipiac nearly went up 1-0 with a two-on-one break, but Dan Travis' shot sailed over the goal. Junior Sean Muncy (Chesterfield, MO) picked up the lose puck and went the other way along with freshman David Brownschidle (Lawrenceville, NJ). Brownschidle took a shot that Bud Fisher saved, but the rebound popped up to Muncy in front of the net and he knocked it home for his first goal since November 30th.

Quinnipiac changed things rather quickly, scoring twice in the first minute of play in the second period to grab a 2-1 lead and then adding three more goals in the next 3:55 to take a 5-1 lead just 4:53 into the second period, scoring on their first three shots of the period. Brandon Wong had the first one 41 seconds into the period when he tipped a Dan Henningson shot from the point past sophomore Dan Rosen (Syosset, NY).

Just 17 seconds later Ben Nelson gave Quinnipiac a 2-1 lead and then scored his second of the game at the two-minute mark, forcing Brown head coach Roger Grillo to call a time out. However, the Bobcats came out of their huddle and increased their lead to 4-1 50 seconds later and then 5-1 just 2:03 after that, chasing Rosen from the game in favor of junior Mark Sibbald (Ridgeway, ONT).

Brown would not quit and scored back-to-back power play goals to come to within 5-3. Junior Ryan Garbutt (Winnipeg, MAN) scored a goal for the third straight game at 10:34, knocking the puck through Fisher's five-hole after he had made a save on Prough, who earned a point for the seventh straight game.

Senior Chris Poli (Medfield, MA) made it a two-goal game when he collected the puck from Prough at the center of the blueline and fired a slap-shot that beat Fisher stick-side. Senior Sean Hurley (Rutland, VT) assisted both of the goals.

However, the Bobcats regained the three-goal cushion 59 seconds later when Jamie Bates beat Sibbald on a wrap-around.

Brown scored three times in the final 7:01 of the game to force overtime. Sophomore Sean McMonagle (Oakville, ONT) started the come-back at 12:59 when he lifted the rebound of his own shot through the legs of his defender and over Fisher's head.

Garbutt's second power play goal of the game 2:15 later then made it a one-goal game, as he knocked in the rebound of a shot from Poli. Sophomore Devin Timberlake (Port Alberni, BC) also assisted for his third point in as many games.

Brown pulled Sibbald with 44 seconds remaining for the extra attacker. After a Quinnipiac icing call with just over 22 seconds remaining, the Bears had an offensive zone face-off to Fisher's left. Junior Matt Vokes (Auburn, MA) won the draw and after a few looks at the winning goal, Prough forced the tie with his fourth career goal scored with the extra skater. Prough started the play when he collected the puck at the top of the left face-off circle and fed Robertson on the right point. Robertson quickly fired a shot that was saved, and Vokes' try from the edge of the crease slid across the goal-mouth, where Prough came in from the left side and tapped it over the goal-line with just 5.4 seconds remaining.

Brown had its best chance to win it with 9:23 remaining when senior David Robertson's (Saunderstown, RI) shot from the right point clanged off the right post. Just two minutes later, David Marshall lifted the Bobcats to the win when his shot from the bottom of the left face-off circle eluded Sibbald.

The Bears and the Bobcats resume action tomorrow evening at 7:00 in game two of the best-of-three first round series. Brown will look to even the series up at one game a piece to force a deciding game on Sunday.

BROWN 1 2 3 0 - 6
QUINNIPIAC 0 6 0 1 - 7

First period - B, Muncy (Brownschidle), 18:03. Penalties - B, 4-8; Q, 4-8.
Second period - Q, Wong (Henningson), 0:41; Q, Nelson (Leitch, Bates), 0:58; Q, Nelson (Bates, Leitch), 2:00; Q, Leitch (Bates), 2:50; Q, Leitch (Bates, Hansen), PP, 4:53; B, Garbutt (Prough, Hurley), PP, 10:43; B, Poli (Prough, Hurley), PP, 17:49; Q, Bates (Dickinson, Leitch), 18:48. Penalties - B, 3-6; Q, 3-6.
Third Period - B, McMonagle (Baier, Robertson), 12:59; B, Garbutt (Poli, Timberlake), PP, 15:14; B, Prough (Vokes, Robertson), EA, 19:55 . Penalties - B, 2-4; Q, 3-6.
Overtime - Q, Marshall (Lampe), 11:58. Penalties - B, 0-0; Q, 0-0.

B, Dan Rosen (24:53), 16-2-x-x - 18; B, Mark Sibbald (46:08), x-7-7-5 - 19; Q, Bud Fisher (71:58), 7-3-10-4 - 24.