Saints Erase Two-Goal Deficit, Defeat Bears, 3-2, in Overtime

Saints Erase Two-Goal Deficit, Defeat Bears, 3-2, in Overtime

March 3, 2006

CANTON, NY - The Brown men's ice hockey team (4-19-7, 3-14-5) held a 2-0 lead midway through the second period, but St. Lawrence (19-14-2, 12-9-1) scored twice in the final 30:00 and netted the game-winner just 25 seconds into overtime to earn the 3-2 win in game one of the ECAC Hockey League best-of-three first round series.

St. Lawrence dominated the first period of action, outshooting Brown 18-5. However, Brown led in the one area that counts, earning a 1-0 lead during the first 20:00. After having to kill four penalties in the opening period, including two back-to-back penalties at 12:05 and 14:06, Brown gained momentum on its second power-play chance of the night.

After an icing by the Saints, sophomore Sean Hurley (Rutland, VT) skate the puck into the zone and dumped it in. St. Lawrence briefly held possession, but freshman Eric Slais (Fenton, MO) made a great play to regain possession for Brown. Slais held onto the puck behind the net and sent it to Hurley at the center of the blue-line. Hurley fired a rocket on net that was saved, but the rebound bounced out to sophomore Brian McNary (Edmonton, ALB), who batted the puck out of the air and into the back of the net at 18:59 of the first.

Sophomore leading scorer Jeff Prough (Farmington Hills, MI) narrowly missed giving Brown a 2-0 lead at 12:43 of the second on a break-away. However, after getting Justin Pesony to drop, Prough couldn't get enough of his stick on the puck to lift it and Pesony made the save, holding the score at 1-0.

On a play that could have sparked St. Lawrence, the Bears made sure to keep momentum, taking a 2-0 lead just 51 seconds later, when junior Sean Dersch (Edmonton, ALB) redirected senior Paul Crosty's (Edmonton, ALB) shot from the blueline past Pesony.

Sophomore Adam D'Alba (Glencoe, IL) followed his 18-save first period with a 14-save second period, allowing a Saints' goal at 15:30 of the period. After making an initial save Max Taylor, Kevin DeVergilio was able to knock in the rebound over an out-stretched D'Alba.

St. Lawrence opened the third period with a 2:00 power-play and just 56 seconds into the period, Jared Ross tipped a Shawn Fensel shot past D'Alba to knot the game at 2-2.

The Bears had a 5x3 opportunity for 13 seconds with 6:01 left in the game, but were unable to do anything with that or the remaining 5x4 advantage.

Both teams had a few late chances, but regulation ended in a 2-2 tie, setting up a 20:00 overtime period, Brown's 12th overtime contest of the season. Brown is now 0-5-7 this season in extra periods. St. Lawrence wasted little time in ending the game, scoring the winning goal just 25 seconds into the extra period.

D'Alba finished with a career-high 51 saves, while Pesony made 25 stops for St. Lawrence. The Bears and the Saints face off in game two of the best-of-three series tomorrow evening at 7:00 p.m.

BROWN 1 1 0 0 - 2
ST. LAWRENCE 0 1 1 1 - 3

First period - B, Brian McNary (Sean Hurley, Eric Slais), 18:59, PP. Penalties - B, 4-8; S, 3-6.
Second period - B, Sean Dersch (Paul Crosty), 13:34; S, Kevin DeVergilio (Drew Bagnall, Max Taylor), 15:30. Penalties - B, 3-6; S, 2-4.
Third period - S, Jared Ross (Shawn Fensel, Zach Miskovic), :56, PP. Penalties - B, 1-2; S, 3-6.
Overtime - S, Mike Zbriger (T.J. Trevelyan, Mike Madill), :25. Penalties - B, 0-0; S, 0-0.

B, Adam D'Alba (60:25), 18-15-17-1 - 51; S, Justin Pesony (60:25), 4-10-11-0 - 25.