Smith's Goal Forces 3-3 Tie with Colgate

Smith's Goal Forces 3-3 Tie with Colgate

Feb. 27, 2009

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - Freshman Jarred Smith (Pepper Pike, OH) scored the game-tying goal 55 seconds after Colgate had taken a 3-2 lead to lift the Brown men's ice hockey team (3-20-5, 3-14-4) to a 3-3 come-from-behind tie with the Raiders (10-16-7, 5-11-5) on Friday evening at Meehan Auditorium.

Things did not start well for the Bears, who were outshot, 19-6, and spotted Colgate a 2-0 lead in the opening 20 minutes. Brown was running around a bit in its own end on both goals, which came just 1:10 apart in the middle of the frame. Tom Riley gave the Raiders a 1-0 lead when he beat freshman Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA) from the top of the crease 7:30 into the period. Austin Smith then got a flukey goal at 8:40 when he fell to his stomach and reached out towards the puck, directing it on net, where it beat Clemente stick-side.

Brown got one back just 40 seconds into the second period when senior leading scorer Matt Vokes (Auburn, MA) converted a semi-breakaway for his 11th goal of the year. After collecting the puck from classmate Sean Muncy (Chesterfield, MO) along the left wing, Vokes broke in alone on Charles Long, drew him to the left side of the net, and knocked the puck into the opposite corner. Senior Eric Slais (Fenton, MO) also assisted on the goal.

The Bears went up on their third power-play of the game and second of the period at 13:41. Though they did not convert on the man-advantage, Slais tied the game at 2-2 just eight seconds after it expired, scoring his fourth of the year. Freshman Jack Maclellan (Calgary, ALB) passed from behind the net out to freshman Bobby Farnham (North Andover, MA) on the left edge of the crease. Farnham fired a one-timer on net that Long saved, but the rebound popped over to Slais at the bottom of the opposite face-off circle and he lifted it into the partially open net.

Brown nearly went up 3-2 five minutes into the third when the puck popped over Long and into the net. However, a Colgate defenseman might have been blocking the view of the puck for both the goal judge and the referee, as the light never came on and the referee waved the goal off.

The Raiders pulled ahead, 3-2, with 4:38 left when Jason Fredricks fired a shot from the top of the left face-off circle that beat Clemente stick-side after Brown failed to clear the zone.

However, Smith tied the game at 3-3 just 55 seconds later, when he beat Long on a one-timer from the slot off a feed from Farnham. Maclellan also earned his second point of the night with an assist on the goal.

Smith's goal would force overtime, Brown's sixth overtime contest of the season and Colgate 15th. Both teams had chances in the extra period, but both Clemente and Long made the saves they needed to, as the game ended in a 3-3 draw.

Clemente finished with 38 saves, including three in overtime, while Long stopped 25 shots for Colgate. Brown returns to action tomorrow evening when it hosts Cornell in the Bears' regular-season finale. The game marks the final career home game for Brown's seven seniors, Ryan Garbutt (Winnipeg, MAN), Matt Palmer (Anchorage, AK), Mark Sibbald (Ridgeway, ONT), Mike Stuart (Rome, NY), and Muncy, Slais, and Vokes.

COLGATE 2 0 1 0 - 3
BROWN 0 2 1 0 - 3

First period - C, Riley (Williams, Prockow), 7:30; C, Smith (Anderson), 8:40. Penalties - C, 1-2; B, 1-2.
Second period - B, Vokes (Muncy, Slais), 0:40; B, Slais (Farnham, Maclellan), 15:49. Penalties - C, 2-4; B, 0-0.
Third Period - C, Fredricks (Day, Prockow), 15:22; B, Smith (Farnham, Maclellan), 16:17. Penalties - C, 0-0; B, 1-2.
Overtime - No Scoring. Penalties - C, 0-0; B, 0-0.

B, Mike Clemente (65:00), 17-9-9-3 - 38; C, Charles Long (65:00), 6-7-10-2 - 25.