Bears Fall to Dartmouth, 4-3

Bears Fall to Dartmouth, 4-3

Feb. 16, 2007

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - Junior Brian McNary (Edmonton, ALB) nearly gave the Bears a 1-0 lead just 20 seconds into the game and then senior Brian Ihnacak (Toronto, ONT) scored on the power-play at 3:56 to give the Brown men's ice hockey team (9-12-5, 5-11-3) a 1-0 lead, but Dartmouth (13-10-3, 9-7-3) responded with three straight goals en route to a 4-3 win over the Bears in an Ivy and ECACHL contest Friday night at Meehan Auditorium.

The Bears came out flying, nearly scoring off the opening faceoff and then taking a 1-0 lead at 3:56 when Ihnacak knocked a centering feed from sophomore Ryan Garbutt (Winnipeg, MAN) past Mike Devine with Brown on the power-play.

However, Dartmouth knotted the game at 1-1 just 46 seconds later, scoring on a three-on-two as the two teams headed into the first intermission tied at one.

The Bears opened the second period with a five-on-three advantage for 1:30 just two minutes into the period, but the Big Green killed the power-play, forcing momentum to swing into their favor. Dartmouth scored back-to-back power-play goals just 2:16 apart to take a 3-1 lead at 8:51 of the second.

However, junior Jeff Prough (Farmington Hills, MI) brought Brown to within one with another power-play goal for the Bears. He collected the puck from junior Sean Hurley (Rutland, VT) and buried a low shot from high in the slot that found its way into the back of the net, sliding in just between Devine's right leg and the right post.

But Dartmouth responded with another power-play goal with 45 seconds left in the period to regain the two-goal cushion.

At 19:39, a Big Green player received a five-minute major for spearing, setting up Brown's sixth power-play chance of the night. Just 31 seconds into the third period, sophomore Matt Vokes (Auburn, MA) closed Dartmouth's lead to one with the Bears' third power-play goal of the game. Hurley fired a shot from the left point and Vokes tipped the puck past Devine from the edge of the crease.

Brown earned a 12-second five-on-three with 52 seconds remaining in the game and pulled freshman Dan Rosen (Syosset, NY) for a six-on-four advantage. However, a late penalty on Brown evened things up and the Bears couldn't net the equalizer.

Rosen finished with 34 saves, while Devine made 32 saves for Dartmouth. The Bears will look to rebound tomorrow night when they host Harvard at 7:00 p.m. in the final regular season home game. Following the game, Brown will honor seniors Sean Dersch (Edmonton, ALB), Antonin Roux (Danville, QUE) and Ihnacak.